The US Graduate School System - Comments

In summary, ZapperZ has published a helpful post about the US graduate school system. The conversation discusses the difference between a B.A. and B.Sc. in physics, which is somewhat arbitrary and varies among schools in the US. Graduate schools in the US do not pay attention to the title of the bachelor's degree, but rather look at the courses taken and performance. The conversation also touches on the issue of applying to US graduate programs from countries with non-4 year bachelor's degrees. It is suggested to pursue a master's degree or a double degree in physics/applied math for better chances of admission.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
ZapperZ submitted a new PF Insights post

The US Graduate School System

soyouwantto7-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Very helpful post!
I have a question regarding the 2nd paragraph - what's the difference between a B.A. in physics and a B.Sc? I thought that the two are identical and the names are a semi-arbitrary choice of the university? Is there a significant advantage of getting one over the other? (in the U.S. at least?)

ELB27 said:
the names are a semi-arbitrary choice of the university?

There's no standard distinction between B.A. and B.S. in the United States.

Some schools (such as the college where I did my undergraduate) offer only a B.A. in physics, some offer only a B.S.

Some schools offer both a B.A. and a B.S., in which case the B.A. may be less "rigorous" in terms of physics courses, or it may simply include a larger number of "general education" classes outside of physics, for example in languages, history, etc.

I'm pretty sure graduate schools in the U.S. don't pay any attention to the precise title of the bachelor's degree, but instead look at the actual courses that you have taken and how well you did in them.

Likes ELB27 and Greg Bernhardt
Another point that I think I should make... in the US, there is not even an official standard for which courses a B.S. in physics should require! (likewise for a B.A.) Different schools can (and do) require somewhat different sets of courses. If a school strays too far from a sort of general consensus pattern, then their regional accrediting agency is likely to question their requirements and make them justify them or even change them, but this still allows for some variation.

In some fields, professional organizations publish standards that schools can adhere to, voluntarily, for their B.S. programs. For example, the American Chemical Society has this:

ACS Approval Program for Bachelor’s Degree Programs

Schools that meet these requirements can advertise themselves as "ACS accredited". However, the American Physical Society does not have a similar program.

Yet another point: in the US, course requirements for a degree are usually intended to be mininum requirements. Students can and do take courses beyond the ones that are specifically required, even beyond any number of elective courses that they are required to take, depending on what they plan to do with the degree. I have the impression that in some countries, degree requirements are very complete and rigid, so this may cause some confusion.

Last edited:
Likes ELB27 and Greg Bernhardt
ELB27 said:
Very helpful post!
I have a question regarding the 2nd paragraph - what's the difference between a B.A. in physics and a B.Sc? I thought that the two are identical and the names are a semi-arbitrary choice of the university? Is there a significant advantage of getting one over the other? (in the U.S. at least?)
It's somewhat arbitrary I think. It even happens with some masters degrees. My graduate program actually did not offer an M.S. (or M.Sc.) in physics, only a masters of arts (M.A.) or a Ph.D. The M.A. degree did not require a thesis component. So perhaps this is why it was not called an M.Sc.

Additionally, one could not even apply to the program with the goal of leaving with the M.A. You had to apply to the PhD program and either declare the M.A. "along the way" to the PhD or leave the PhD program after getting the M.A.

First - thanks so much for putting this out there - many don't know it.

The other issue with applying to graduate programs in the US from outside the US is countries like the UK, India and Australia do not have 4 year Bachelors. Some of these are recognised as equivalent (eg a 3 year degree from Oxford) - but some are not. I know Australian 3 year Bachelors generally are not - but you can get 4 year degrees by doing a double degree or an honours year - these are recognised. My suggestion if you are in one of these countries is do either an honours degree or a double degree in physics/applied math. But getting a Masters first is probably even better because that will give valuable experience in research work and only takes an extra semester over a four year degree.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the overall structure of the US graduate school system?

The US graduate school system is composed of two main types of programs: Master's and Doctoral degrees. Master's programs typically take 1-2 years to complete, while Doctoral programs can take anywhere from 3-7 years. Both types of programs require students to complete coursework, research, and a final thesis or dissertation.

2. How do I apply to a US graduate school?

To apply to a US graduate school, you will typically need to submit an application form, transcripts from your previous academic institutions, letters of recommendation, a personal statement or essay, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT). Some programs may also require a resume and/or a portfolio of work.

3. What are the differences between public and private graduate schools in the US?

Public graduate schools are funded by the state and typically have lower tuition costs for in-state residents. Private graduate schools are funded by private organizations and tend to have higher tuition costs. However, private schools may also offer more financial aid and scholarship opportunities.

4. Can international students attend US graduate schools?

Yes, international students are eligible to attend US graduate schools. However, they may need to fulfill additional requirements, such as demonstrating English proficiency and obtaining a student visa.

5. What are the benefits of attending a US graduate school?

Attending a US graduate school can provide students with advanced knowledge and skills in their field of study, access to top-notch resources and research opportunities, and networking opportunities with faculty and fellow students. It can also enhance career prospects and potentially lead to higher salaries in the future.