Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The vector resolute.Why doesn't it cancel out?

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone :smile: ,

I'm reviewing vectors and I thought the best way to go about it is understand the exact definition without blindingly using formulas. Anyway here is my question

The vector resoulute of a on b

* - unit vector

(a . b*) b*

My question is why doesn't this cancel out to a like this.

a. b x b
    ----- ---
    |b| |b|

|b|2 = b.b

So wouldn't this be

a.b x b
    which is equal to a

I know this doesn't happen but I think there is something wrong in my understanding. I can't understand what happens when two vectors are multiplied. Why does it give a scalar. How do you explain it. Can you multiply 3 vectors. Can you divide vectors?

It seems a lot of questions but I think by answering my first question you would probably answer these questions. Thanks a lot in advance :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi sameeralord! :smile:

You're asking why doesn't (a.b)b/b2 = a.

Because (a.b)b isn't a(b.b) …

the first one is a scalar multiple of b, and the second is a scalar multiple of a.
    You can either dot-product two vectors, or cross-product them:

a.b and a x b.

the first is a scalar, the second is a vector.

Why? Because that's how we define them, and we can define anything we like.

You can't divide vectors unless one is a scalar times the other (in other words, they're parallel).

You can't multiply more than two vectors, except that you can keep cross-producting vectors in pairs, as many times as you like:

((axb)xc)xd etc,

and you can also do the scalar "triple product" (axb).c :smile:
  4. Sep 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks heaps tiny tam :smile: Your answer was very clear. So basically you can't apply all the algebra techniques to vectors. I mean if there is (b.b) you take it as a scalar then do your calculations. So |b2| = (b.b) is also a scalar then. Thanks a lot again :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?