Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The volume of a cube and a cylinder.

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1

ehj

I was wondering if the formulas for the volume of, for instance, a cube and a cylinder are definitions or if they can be proved. Does anybody know :)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One can derive the volumes of various 3D shapes using volume integrals with appropriate limits.

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

ehj

The proof for the formula to derive volumes of those various 3D shapes is based on the volume of a cylinder, atleast the one I learned..

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    The volume of a cube based on the volume of cylinder?? Are you sure it wasn't the other way round?

Anyway, as Hottenanny pointed out you can just calculate these kind of volume using integrals or (essentially the same) http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principe_de_Cavalieri (sorry, only available in French and German:smile:)

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5
    For simplicity consider a unit square.
    We define the area of a unit square as 1. (at least I think we do!!)
    Seems to say so here:-
    http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/60392.html

I think however we could have defined the area of a unit square a 7 or 12.738 or 1/4
    or even -0.0009300203.
    It would just make the maths a bit harder it we did!

So it seems to me it is a definition so proving it is trivial, for example an exam question
    might be:-

a) Given the area of a unit square is 1, show the area of a unit square is 1.

I don't think that will be worth too many marks!!

Going on to volume, I think we define a unit volune as one, but it could have been
    defined as any number, one just makes the numbers easier to work with.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  7. Apr 23, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, a volume of "1" is defined as the volume of a "unit" cube- that is, the volume of a cube of length "1" on each side.

The fact that the volume of an n by n cube, for n an integer, is n3 does require a proof and the fact that the volume of an x by x cube, with x any real number, is x3 requires a significantly harder proof.

Once we are "given" the area of a circle, the proof that the volume of a right circular cylinder is [itex]\pi r^2 h[/itex] is fairly simple.

8. Apr 23, 2008 #7
    Would you mind elaborating on "x by x cubes" where x is not an integer ...? Or do you know a link/book where I could read about such things?
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?