The wavelength of the virtual photons of the Coulomb force

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the wavelength, frequency, and energy of virtual photons that are exchanged between charges to account for the Coulomb force. While it is assumed that the wavelength is always the same, there is a disagreement about whether virtual photons actually have a wavelength and what it means in this case. Some argue that virtual photons do not propagate and therefore cannot have a wavelength, while others suggest that the wavelength can be equal to the distance between interacting particles. The concept of virtual particles breaking conservation of energy is also brought up, with some questioning its validity. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity and ambiguity surrounding the nature of virtual photons.
diagopod
Is there a way to calculate the wavelength, frequency or energy (per photon) of the virtual photons that charges exchange to account for the Coulomb force? This is assuming that it's always the same wavelength, of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
They have wavelength just of the length between interacting bodies. If an electron is half angstrem away of a proton, the wavelength of the virtual photons will be half an angstrem.

I think this is wrong. It would mean they carried energy and they don't. The frequency is zero and the wavelength is unbounded.

Last edited:
I don't see how that can be correct.

Virtual photons don't propagate; they don't satisfy the wave equation, so how can they have a wavelength? What does a wavelength even mean in this case?

What does a wavelength even mean in this case?
Virtual particles break conservation of energy in the classical sense. The maximum amount of extra energy can be [tex]\Delta E = \hbar / d[/tex], where [tex]d[/tex] is the distance between interacting particles. If you now count the wavelength of a photon of such energy, you will get exactly [tex]d[/tex].

I don't follow. The fact that you have a length scale d is not the same as saying it's a wavelength. Also, 4-momentum (one term of which is energy) is conserved at every vertex, so I don't see where this non-conservation of energy is coming from.

Thanks everyone. Didn't realize it was ambiguous. I thought that virtual photons were more like regular photons than they actually are I suppose. Thanks for the insight.

1. What is the wavelength of virtual photons of the Coulomb force?

The wavelength of virtual photons of the Coulomb force is not a well-defined quantity. Virtual photons are not actual particles and do not have a measurable wavelength like real photons do.

2. How does the wavelength of virtual photons affect the strength of the Coulomb force?

The wavelength of virtual photons does not directly affect the strength of the Coulomb force. The strength of the Coulomb force is determined by the charge and distance between two particles, not the wavelength of virtual photons.

3. Can the wavelength of virtual photons be measured?

No, the wavelength of virtual photons cannot be directly measured. They are a mathematical concept used to explain the behavior of the Coulomb force.

4. Is there a relationship between the wavelength of virtual photons and the distance between charged particles?

There is no direct relationship between the wavelength of virtual photons and the distance between charged particles. However, the exchange of virtual photons between two particles is what creates the Coulomb force, which does depend on the distance between the particles.

5. How does the wavelength of virtual photons compare to the wavelength of real photons?

The wavelength of virtual photons is much shorter than the wavelength of real photons. Virtual photons are considered to have an infinitely small wavelength, while real photons have a measurable wavelength determined by their energy and frequency.