The What telescope are you using thread

Main Question or Discussion Point

The "What telescope are you using" thread

What telescope and other equipment are you currently using?

Answers and Replies

I have a 4" reflector from the 1980s from some old japanese company. Its what I believe is called a "catadioptric" or hybrid as it has a spherical mirror and a correcting lens. Its not much, but it was my dads as a kid and after I moved out I claimed it as my own. With it I can just barley make out two red bands on Jupiter and I can see the rings of Saturn but not the cassini gap.

I had it out last night for the first time in a while since we finally had a clear sky. Checked out the waxing crescent. The moon is beautiful, I never get tired of looking at it even with just the naked eye.

I've been wanting a better one for years now, but they get real pricey real quick. I have an app that trolls craigslist for me in case a telescope comes up, hopefully I can score a relatively cheap 6 or 8 inch someday.

Bobbywhy
Gold Member
My telescope is the Questar 3.5 inch Duplex with antireflective coatings and Zerodur mirror. It is portable, rugged, and I use it for both astronomical objects and animal/bird observations. A full sun filter gives me intimate views of sunspots and coronal activities. Close up focus of around 40 inches also provides a long distance microscope! Mine is over 25 years old and keeps on working.
http://www.questarcorporation.com/questar.htm

Bobbywhy

adjacent
Gold Member
I'm using a department store trash telescope. :( lol
It's unstable, provides fuzzy views, yet good for me.
I will surely buy a nice reflecting telescope someday.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
hi adjacent

yup, there are some poor budget ones out there. But you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent scope
Yes the Celestron was a big buy for me AU$3200, but that 8" f5 dobo mount scope was only AU$650.
And that falls into the affordable range for many people :smile:

cheers
Dave

hi adjacent

yup, there are some poor budget ones out there. But you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent scope
Yes the Celestron was a big buy for me AU$3200, but that 8" f5 dobo mount scope was only AU$650.
And that falls into the affordable range for many people :smile:

cheers
Dave
btw, what is it doing inside? Trying to get a good view of that dustball on the ceiling? :)

adjacent
Gold Member
that 8" f5 dobo mount scope was only AU$650.
From where did you buy it?

Nothing ships to Maldives.that's so sad!

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
btw, what is it doing inside? Trying to get a good view of that dustball on the ceiling? :)
hahaha,

the was its first day home from the shop ... see the big cardboard box in the background ?
It was ~ 2004 when I bought that. My first scope purchased after moving to Australia in 2000

adjacent..

you are in the Maldives ? WOW seriously out in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah, freight is likely to cost as much as the scope :frown:

The CPC scope I got from a company in Perth, WA, Australia ( see the link I put at the top of the other post ... free freight ( I'm in Sydney ... the other side of the continent)
The Newtonian I got from a local Amateur radio and telescope supplier here in Sydney.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

cheers
Dave

Celestron 130. I bought it 6 months ago as my first scope. I have seen some amazing objects with it but am now looking for something bigger. I am lucky enough to live on a cliff top in Cornwall,Uk.There is nothing but ocean around me so light polloution is not an issue. My only gripe with the Celstron was the collimnation ( spelling ) process.It took me weeks of adjusting to get it anywhere near correct.Even now I still get the shadow of the plastic sight/rings,but I have learned to live with it. Excellent forum,keep up the good work :-)
Ian.

Last edited:
Bobbywhy
Gold Member
Celestron 130 collimation procedure is on pages 27, 28, and 29 here:
http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1219957574_astromasterinst.pdf [Broken]
You may want to purchase these as well:
Collimation Tool (# 94183) – Collimating your Newtonian telescope is easily accomplished with this
handy accessory which includes detailed instructions.

Collimation Eyepiece – 1.25” (# 94182) – The collimation eyepiece is ideal for precise collimation of
Newtonian telescopes.
Good observing!
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you,Bobbywhy. The mistake I made when I first opened the box was the same that many of us males make....I didnt bother to read the instuctions.Doh! I loosened the screws on the end of the main body...which I have since found out are factory set for the primary mirror.Yeah,I know...nooby mistake.

I have seen the collimation tools on Ebay.I think that now may be the the time to purchase one ( or possibly 6 months ago ). Again,thank you for your reply.
Regards
Ian

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
I use a Celestron Powerseeker 60mm AltAzimuth mount. I like it as a beginner. The only thing I feel bad about is the 60mm aperture being small compared to the mags it can give.
attachment.php?attachmentid=70121&stc=1&d=1401260329.jpg

It's got a 20mm ep, 4mm ep and 3x barlow. The eyepieces give 35x and 175x mags respectively.
I think atleast 70mm aperture should give a nice session. I use only 35x and 105x(20mm ep and barlow) mags. The others are blurry.
It's all about BAD luck when it get's to weather.. :(

Attachments