1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The work integral (general question)

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    I'm sure you're all familar with this forumla for work, [itex]
    W=\int_{s_i}^{s_f} \mathrm{\vec{F}}\cdot\,\mathrm{d}\vec{s}

[/itex]

I don't understand how to evaluate this integral. How do you antidifferentiate in terms of a vector? How do you evaluate the dot product when ds isn't an actual value?

Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2
    It's done with something called vector calculus, more specifically, line integrals.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_integral#Vector_calculus

Depending on whether it's a scalar or vector field, it is calculated slightly differently. Nevertheless, we will do a dot product inside the integral while manipulating the integral into something more familiar, so only parallel components will count.

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    So would we do the dot product of F and delta-s? If so, that would give us a scalar value (or perhaps a function), and what would we integrate that in terms of?

5. Apr 15, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that ds can be broken down into components dx and dy just like F can be broken down into components Fx and Fy (Fx and Fy do not represent partial derivatives here).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted