Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theorem mathematic for relativity

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    hello!:

my problem is about of a theorem mathematic,as I prove the following theorem?

F(x)=F(a) + [itex]\sum^{n}_{i=1}[/itex](x[itex]^{i}[/itex]-a[itex]^{i}[/itex])H[itex]_{i}[/itex](x)

good first start with the fundamental theorem of calculus: (for proof):

F(x) - F(a) = [itex]\int^{x}_{a}[/itex]F'(s)ds sustitution: s=t(x - a) + a [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [a,x] to [0,1] then:
    ds=dt(x - a) later:
    f(x) - F(a)= (x - a)[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]F'(t(x - a) +a)dt

okk my problem is how to get to the sum [itex]\sum[/itex]???

is physic relativistic forum, because of this theorem I can get to the change of coordinates in the Einstein equations and find bases for the manifolds of space-time. thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2012 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

Your representation is a modification of the standard Taylor series representation, where Hi(a) (not Hi(x)) is related to the ith derivative of F.

Furthermore the term in parenthesis should be (x-a)i not xi - ai

4. May 15, 2012 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know it's not clear from what he said, but he has a different theorem in mind. Wald's statement of the theorem goes like this:
    If ##F:\mathbb R^n\to\mathbb R## is ##C^\infty##, then for each ##a=(a^1,\dots,a^n)\in\mathbb R^n## there exist ##C^\infty## functions ##H_\mu## such that for all ##x\in\mathbb R^n## we have
    $$F(x)=F(a)+\sum_{\mu=1}^n(x^\mu-a^\mu)H_\mu(x).$$ Furthermore, we have
    $$H_\mu(a)=\frac{\partial F}{\partial x^\mu}\bigg|_{x=a}.$$​
    A similar theorem is stated and proved in Isham's book on differential geometry, page 82. So nulliusinverb, I suggest you take a look at that.

5. May 16, 2012 #4
    Fredrick thank you very much, the book is recommended to study this issue, although the theorem is raised from other values ​​is the same. thank!!

ps: "Modern Differential Geometry for Physicists" autor: Isham

6. May 16, 2012 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Notation is a major problem here. xi usually means the ith power of x. For this theorem it means the ith component of a vector x ε Rn.

I suggest that, when anyone asks a question, make sure the notation is clear!

7. Jun 11, 2012 #6
    i apologize for the delay, here is the proof:

F:ℝ[itex]^{n}[/itex][itex]\rightarrow[/itex]ℝ

i have:

F([itex]\vec{x}[/itex])-F([itex]\vec{a}[/itex])= [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{m}_{μ=1}[/itex]F(t(x[itex]^{μ}[/itex]-a[itex]^{μ}[/itex])+a[itex]^{μ}[/itex],0...,0)[itex]^{t=1}_{t=0}[/itex]
    then:
    =[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{m}_{μ=1}[/itex](x[itex]^{μ}[/itex]-a[itex]^{μ}[/itex])[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial u^{μ}}[/itex]((t(x[itex]^{μ}[/itex]-a[itex]^{μ}[/itex])+a[itex]^{μ}[/itex],0...,0)dt
    where:

H[itex]_{μ}[/itex]([itex]\vec{x}[/itex])=[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial F(\vec{x})}{\partial u^{μ}}[/itex]dt

finally:

F([itex]\vec{x}[/itex])-F([itex]\vec{a}[/itex])= [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{m}_{μ=1}[/itex]H[itex]_{μ}[/itex]([itex]\vec{x}[/itex])(x[itex]^{μ}[/itex]-a[itex]^{μ}[/itex])

qed

thanks you very much to all!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook