Theoretical Particle Physics Book

In summary: An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin and Schroeder. In summary, if you are looking for a book on particle physics with a focus on theoretical calculations, I would recommend checking out books by Greiner and Peskin & Schroeder in addition to Griffiths and Halzen and Martin.
beman
I want a book on particle physics which contains lots of theoretical calculations.All books recommended in my class contain lots of experimental techniques and very little about
theory.I like "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by D Griffiths.Is there any book like
Griffiths?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about Halzen and Martin- Quarks and Leptons?
Everything depends on the level and on what you are seeking for.

Likes 1 person
beman said:
I want a book on particle physics which contains lots of theoretical calculations.All books recommended in my class contain lots of experimental techniques and very little about
theory.I like "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by D Griffiths.Is there any book like
Griffiths?

It sounds like you want books on quantum field theory; if you search you can find many. (Griffiths's book is supposed to be a gentle introduction to quantum field theory).

H&M is great for having all the steps clearly shown, but is at a higher level than G.
You need the higher level to do the calculations. G is good for discussion.

beman said:
Griffiths?

After Griffiths and Halzen and Martin, I would recommend the books by Greiner and co-authors (he has MANY books, covering pretty much everything in particle physics and QFT. His books show a lot of calculations with all the steps shown and explained)

1. What is theoretical particle physics?

Theoretical particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles and their interactions using mathematical models and theories.

2. What topics are typically covered in a theoretical particle physics book?

Topics covered in a theoretical particle physics book may include quantum field theory, particle interactions, symmetries, and the Standard Model. It may also cover more advanced topics such as string theory and supersymmetry.

3. Is the book suitable for beginners in physics?

It depends on the specific book and its intended audience. Some theoretical particle physics books may be more suitable for advanced students or researchers, while others may be written for a general audience with a basic understanding of physics.

4. How is theoretical particle physics related to experimental particle physics?

Theoretical particle physics and experimental particle physics are closely related. Theoretical physicists develop models and theories to explain the behavior of particles, while experimental physicists conduct experiments to test these theories and gather data to further our understanding of particles and their interactions.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for research in theoretical particle physics?

It depends on the specific book and its content. Some theoretical particle physics books may be more suitable as introductory texts, while others may be used as references for advanced research. It is important to consult the book's table of contents and read reviews to determine its suitability for your research needs.