1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Theoretical Physics MSc courses

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    I'm looking for graduate courses with focus on non-string theoretical physics beyond the standard model (or at least, courses preparing for research in that field). I'm also open to string content, but I find other approaches more intriguing.

Recently I came across Imperial College's MSc course "Quantum Fields and Fundamental Forces", which I find highly appealing.

So my question is, do you know of any comparable courses that could also be taken into consideration? Even better, you may possibly have some experiences to share?

In advance, thank you very much for your answers!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is the course I would recommend. Alternatively, Part III at Cambridge gives good preparation, although it isn't an official MSc course (if that matters to you).

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
  5. Mar 5, 2009 #4
    Thank you. Together with another one in Munich, these are some interesting options. Can you tell me anything about how hard these courses are to get into? Cambridge and Imperial College are big names.

(Edit: It wouldn't matter much, if the course was not an official MSc, as I think I can finish my degree back home in that case. I'm considering one year of abroad study ideally.)

6. Mar 5, 2009 #5

DarMM

Science Advisor

The Imperial MSc isn't that hard to get into, you just have to have a 2:1 degree or better, ideally a first. You don't need to have gone to an excellent university or have stellar references, they are just going to look at your results. In my year there were some people with a 2:2.

7. Mar 5, 2009 #6
    How do people fund the Imperial MSc, has the deadline for Fall '09 passed to apply for here?

8. Mar 5, 2009 #7
    I also wonder how these courses lead to a full degree within 12 months. Are these just more intensive? Most MSc courses I know of lead to degree after two years of study.

9. Mar 5, 2009 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Full time MSc courses in the UK are one year long.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook