Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

There is a big bat in my apartment

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    I'm very scared and I don't know how to get it out. It's flying over the living room and I need to go through there to get out of the apartment. Help please!! :cry: :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. May 19, 2013 #3
    Turn your fear into a weapon by building a combat suit resembling a bat to fight crime in

5. May 19, 2013 #4
  6. May 19, 2013 #5
    Just get a paper and pick it up by hand. That is how I catch every living things that invades my house.

7. May 19, 2013 #6

jedishrfu

You need leather gloves to do that. The towel approach is better and more humane. Bats can carry rabies. In Austin we've advised never to pick up a bat with your hands because of it.

You could also find cat who'll catch a bat (find a dog who'll eat a dog :-) ) but you may not like the outcome.

8. May 19, 2013 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Run around in circles screaming until you pass out and the bat flies away in fear of a zombie apocalypse.

9. May 19, 2013 #8

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Start a baseball game. Sorry,trying to lighten things up.

When you can, open up all doors, windows you can, if too urgent, open the bathroom door and shut it if it gets in there ( which will lead to another problem; hopefully a smaller one.)

10. May 20, 2013 #9

jedishrfu

and then maybe the whole bat family will join junior.

11. May 20, 2013 #10
    Very interesting solution.

12. May 20, 2013 #11

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Right, I didn't think it thru carefully. Maybe the Baseball game will be a better idea.

13. May 20, 2013 #12

Ibix

Science Advisor

Guessing you're in the States so this probably isn't relevant, but in the UK, you ring the RSPCA and they come. Bats are a protected species here, I believe.

14. May 20, 2013 #13
    Because asking a bunch of people on the internet will solve your problem. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRR4iYRRBLk

15. May 20, 2013 #14

turbo

Gold Member

In the NE US we only have little brown bats. They are tiny and easy to catch (got a long-handled smelt net or similar?) so I don't know what to do with a large bat. Can you lure it outside? In the absence of food, that bat should be looking for another place to live, though you might have to be flexible about giving the critter access to the outside. Good luck with that situation.

16. May 20, 2013 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Offer it fermented fruit. Afterwards, it will be very easy to get it out

17. May 20, 2013 #16

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It probably wants out as much as you want it out.

i'd just open the door.

18. May 20, 2013 #17

jedishrfu

Do you still have Bats in your Belfry or are you completely Bat free?

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  19. May 20, 2013 #18
    I just woke up, and it is on the ground right outside my door. I'm gonna throw a towel on it and then we'll see.

20. May 20, 2013 #19

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Some bats can't take off from the ground.

Try placing it on a shrub or small tree limb so it has room for a good flap of its wings. That's why they hang upside down - takeoff is just spread wings and let go.

21. May 20, 2013 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly what I was going to say. Poor thing, I bet it's terrified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook