There's a man hanging on a Tyrolean traverse , we must not let this man die

• Thread starter hjr
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves Christian traversing a chasm using a rope with a maximum tension force of 28 kN and a safety factor of 10. With Christian's mass of 73.0 kg, the distance x that the rope must sag to stay within the recommended safety range needs to be determined. The solution involves finding the angle and using it to solve for the length of the rope in a triangle.
hjr
first time posting

Homework Statement

Christian is making a Tyrolean traverse as shown in the figure. That is, he traverses a chasm by stringing a rope between a tree on one side of the chasm and a tree on the opposite side, 23 m away. The rope must sag sufficiently so it won't break. Assume the rope can provide a tension force of up to 28 kN before breaking, and use a "safety factor" of 10 (that is, the rope should only be required to undergo a tension force of 2.8 kN) at the center of the Tyrolean traverse. Determine the distance x that the rope must sag if it is to be within its recommended safety range and Christian's mass is 73.0 kg.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically the x component is throwing me off. The tension in the rope shouldn't be greater then 2.8kN. I tried to add the two vectors of the tension force so I had one vector pointing straight up and the force of mg pointing down. I believe the acceleration should be zero since you don't want the guy moving. So the force pushing down shouldn't be greater then the upward force. But then isn't the downward force always the same? I thought maybe it had to do something with velocity but the acceleration is constant. Then tried making two triangles with the x component being the base for each. But they give no angles, so I gave up on that idea. Then I tried to relate the length of the rope(they give it for a reason) to the max force allowed but I can't see the connection. I can't jump from the force to the distance. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. You can send me a link to a concept I'm missing here, anything that helps.

Attachments

• GIANCOLI.ch04.p31.jpg
    GIANCOLI.ch04.p31.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 537
Physics news on Phys.org
Once you find the angle, you should be able to find rope length solving the triangle - that's the idea behind the question.

1. What is a Tyrolean traverse?

A Tyrolean traverse is a method of crossing a gap or chasm using a rope or cable suspended between two anchor points. It is commonly used in rock climbing and mountaineering.

2. What are the risks associated with a Tyrolean traverse?

The main risk associated with a Tyrolean traverse is falling. If the person on the traverse loses their grip or the rope/cable breaks, they can fall and potentially sustain serious injuries.

3. How can we prevent the man from dying while he is hanging on the Tyrolean traverse?

The first step is to call for emergency services and get professional help. In the meantime, bystanders can try to communicate with the man and keep him calm. If possible, they can also try to provide support by holding onto the rope or providing a stable object for him to rest his feet on.

4. Can the man be rescued without professional help?

It is highly recommended to wait for professional help to arrive in this situation. Attempting to rescue the man without proper training and equipment can put both the man and the rescuers at risk of injury or death.

5. What should we do after the man has been rescued?

After the man has been rescued, it is important to assess his condition and provide any necessary medical attention. It is also important to debrief and discuss the incident to identify any safety measures that could be implemented in the future to prevent similar accidents from happening.