1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Conductivity - Forming ice under water

1. May 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2f06g76.png

Part (a): Derive Clausius-Clapeyron Equation. Find latent heat of fusion of ice.
    Part (b): Find rate of formation of ice
    Part (c): What is the maximum thickness of ice formed?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)
    I have derived the relation. Using the values, I found that the latent heat of fusion of ice is ##L = 3.44 \times 10^5 J kg^{-1}## which seems right.

Part (b)

Using heat flux ##J = k (\frac{\partial T}{\partial z})##, consider in time ##\delta t## amount of ice ##\Delta m## is formed.

[tex]\Delta Q = (\Delta m)L = (JA) \Delta t[/tex]
    [tex] \rho (\Delta z)L = \frac{k(T_2-T_1)}{z} \Delta t[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = \frac{k(T_2-T_1)}{\rho L z}[/tex]

Taking ##k = 2.3##, ##T_2-T_1 = 0.5##, ##\rho = 1000##, ##L = 3.44 \times 10^5##:

I find that ##\frac{dz}{dt} = 3.34 \times 10^{-7} m s^{-1}##, so ice forms awfully slow.

Part (c)
    4hr4pk.png

In steady state, ## \frac{dQ_1}{dt} = \frac{dQ_2}{dt}##.

Therefore, we equate the heat fluxes:

[tex]k_{water} \left(\frac{2}{1-z_f}\right)A = k_{ice}\frac{0.5}{z_f}A[/tex]

[tex]z_f = \frac{k_{ice}}{4k_{water} + k_{ice}} = 0.51 m [/tex]

It's hard to believe that over half the lake would be frozen, when the rate of formation of ice above (without the interference of the bottom of the lake) is merely ##3.34 \times 10^{-7} m s^{-1}##.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2014 #2
    That's about 3 cm/day. That doesn't seem extremely low to me, considering the very low temperature driving force of 0.5 C.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted