Thermal dependence of PL measurements:quasi-fermi levels

In summary, quasi-fermi levels are levels in a semiconductor where the concentrations of free electrons and free holes are equal, and they are related to the electron and hole densities. This concept is not my favorite, but I'm trying to help you visualize it. I think quasi-fermi levels are related to the Fermi level for holes in thermal equilibrium, but if you disturb the equilibrium, you need to abandon the concept of a temperature.
rukichi09
Hello!Happy New Year!

I am currently working on the thermal dependence of photoluminescence measurements of Zinc oxide. however, I am investigating numerically. At thermal equilibrium the generation of carriers is equal to the recombination rate, away from thermal equilibrium- away from the respective band edges by kBT, the distribution of carriers is expressed by Boltzmann distribution and this is where quasi-fermi levels enter the picture. I would like to ask for help in understanding quasi-fermi levels and their relationship with temperature.

Also, quasi-Fermi levels are related to the electron and hole densities n and p,is it possible to express n and p as a function of T?o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
hello

Actually this concept is not my favourite one in physics, but I hope I can nevertheless help you a little to visualize this concept. I have mainly encountered the notion of quasi Fermi levels (or imrefs) , when dealing with semiconductor junction devices (pn-diode, schottky diode).

Imagine you have thermal equilibrium and an p-type semiconductor at a certain temperature where all acceptors are ionized (exhaustion). The concentrations of free electrons n0, free holes p0 and concentrations of ionized acceptors NA+ adjust in a way that the condition of neutrality is satisfied. In this state we have n0 << p0 [tex]\approx[/tex]NA+ and the concetrations of electrons in CB or holes in VB are specified by a unique Fermi level Ef.

Now, assume that you disturb the equilibrium by exciting electrons from valence band and thus creating electrons and holes and that these additional electrons and holes can live for a quite a long time.

If the pair concentration is low compared to the hole (majority carrier) concentration p0, you see that the hole concentration is almost unchanged but the concentration of electrons changes very significantly.

Now you can approximate:

you say, oh well, the hole concentration has not changed, so the Fermi level for holes is like in thermal equilibrium but since I have many more free electrons than before, their concentration is governed by a different Fermi level (which is closer to conduction band than before). But ...then you have a different "Fermi level" for electrons and for holes... to remind that we are no longer dealing with thermal equilibrium the term "Quasi-Fermi-level" was introduced for this situation.

I wouldn't dare to speculate anything about temperature dependence of quasi-fermi levels, since, when you disturb thermal equilibrium, you need (stricly speaking ) to abandon the concept of a temperature.

If you library hat this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0780334795/?tag=pfamazon01-20, you should check chapter 9. This is a very nice book, especially if you want to calculate various things in semiconductors, despite it is devoted mainly to transport.

Good luck

PS: I'm curious what do you intent to calculate ? the dependence of PL spectrum with temperature ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I calculated the PL spectra at thermal equilibrium using the Roosbroeck-Shockley relation.
Now, I'm trying to calculate PL at higher temperatures and observe what happens.

this calculation is really a formidable task.

please be aware that a lot of calculations (or formulas) which use the concept of quasi Fermi levels (an example formula for the non-degenerated case would be n=ni*exp(([tex]\phi[/tex]n-[tex]\phi[/tex]i)/kT) (where ni is the intrinsic electron concentration, [tex]\phi[/tex]n is the quasi Fermi level for electrons and [tex]\phi[/tex]i is the intrinsic Fermi level)) implicitly assume that the energetical distribution of electrons in the conduction band is Boltzmann-like. This might not necessarily be the case, when the electrons are excited optically like in PL measurements, especially if you have a semiconductor with short lifetimes. Be cautious when using them !

The subtleties of the concept of "quasi Fermi levels" are deeply discussed in section 4.1.2 of "Semiconductor statistics" by Blakemore, republished by Dover Publications Inc in 2002.

Good luck

1. What is the thermal dependence of PL measurements?

The thermal dependence of PL measurements refers to how the photoluminescence (PL) intensity of a material changes with temperature. This is an important factor to consider in studying the electronic properties of a material, as temperature can affect the energy levels and carrier concentrations in the material.

2. What are quasi-Fermi levels?

Quasi-Fermi levels are energy levels that describe the distribution of electrons or holes in a material at a given temperature. They are similar to Fermi levels, but take into account the presence of both electrons and holes, as opposed to just one type of carrier.

3. How is the thermal dependence of PL measurements measured?

The thermal dependence of PL measurements is typically measured by varying the temperature of the material and recording the PL intensity at each temperature. This data can then be analyzed to determine the relationship between temperature and PL intensity.

4. Why is the thermal dependence of PL measurements important?

The thermal dependence of PL measurements is important because it can provide valuable information about the electronic properties of a material. It can also help in understanding the behavior of the material at different temperatures, which is important for various applications such as in solar cells and LEDs.

5. How does the thermal dependence of PL measurements vary between different materials?

The thermal dependence of PL measurements can vary greatly between different materials. This is because the electronic properties of a material, such as band gap and carrier concentration, can greatly influence how the PL intensity changes with temperature. Therefore, it is important to study the thermal dependence of PL measurements for each specific material of interest.