Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Diffusivity in practice

1. Oct 12, 2013 #1
    I have a system with two gasses separated by a wall as in a heat exchanger. One of the gasses changes temperature by the action of an outside agent and I'm trying to estimate the heat flow between the two gasses over time.
    I know that thermal diffusivity is a factor in this, but I don't know how to apply the numbers given for it to my situation. The units for thermal diffusivity are something like mm2/sec. I can assume that the temperature over the surface of the wall is uniform, so I don't have to worry about diffusion in those dimensions, but I do need to account for diffusion through the thickness of wall. I would expect to need a factor in mm/sec, but I have mm2/sec.
    Also, I was thinking that an electrical analog might make this easier to analyze as I have access to programs for simulating electrical circuits, but I can't find a definite analog for thermal diffusivity.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2013 #2
    solve the 1D heat equation subject to your specific boundary conditions. The thermal diffusivity is the factor in front of del^2 T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook