Thermal Expansion - Pendulum of a Grandfather Clock

In summary: Now we substitute for delta temperature1/2*alpha*(28-17) = 1/2*alpha*111/2*19*10^-6 * 11 = 0.0000099So the clock gains about 0.0000099 seconds every 2 seconds.Then we multiply by 2 (since we're looking for the change in 2 seconds) to get approximately 0.0000198 seconds per 1 second.Finally, we multiply by the number of seconds in a year to get the change in time for a year.0.0000198 seconds per 1 second * 31,536
dmullin4
Thermal Expansion -- Pendulum of a Grandfather Clock

Homework Statement

The pendulum in a grandfather clock is made of brass (coefficient of linear expansion = 19 x 10^-6) and keeps perfect time at 17 degrees Celsius. How much time is gained or lost in a year if the clock is kept at 28 degrees Celsius? (Assume the frequency dependence on length for a simply pendulum applies.)

Homework Equations

T = 2pi * sqrt(L/g)
delta L = alpha*L(naught)*delta T
L = L(naught)*(1 + alpha*delta T)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to even start with this. Once given a push in the right direction, I should be ok. But I just don't get the relationship.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to Physics Forums.

HINT: What is the length of the pendulum if it keeps perfect time?

I'm not sure. Wouldn't it depend on the gravity at a certain location? The instructor posted a worksheet that compares the T = 2pi * sqrt(L/g) initial to the final. But the comparisons he made are foreign to me. He has the fractional loss given by delta T/T(naught). Then he does a lot of substitutions and simplifications that I don't completely follow.

dmullin4 said:
I'm not sure. Wouldn't it depend on the gravity at a certain location? The instructor posted a worksheet that compares the T = 2pi * sqrt(L/g) initial to the final. But the comparisons he made are foreign to me. He has the fractional loss given by delta T/T(naught). Then he does a lot of substitutions and simplifications that I don't completely follow.
Okay, let's start by finding the ratio T/T0 then.

Ok, so I have T0 = 2pi * sqrt(L0/g) at 17o C and T = 2pi * sqrt(L/g) at 28o Celsius. T is greater than T0 because L is greater than L0. I understand this part. But then they have the clock is losing time by an amount of delta T = T-T0. Where does that come from?

dmullin4 said:
Ok, so I have T0 = 2pi * sqrt(L0/g) at 17o C and T = 2pi * sqrt(L/g) at 28o Celsius. T is greater than T0 because L is greater than L0. I understand this part. But then they have the clock is losing time by an amount of delta T = T-T0. Where does that come from?
Good. Now, the next step is to find the fractional change in period, as your instructor did. So can you write down

[tex]\frac{T}{T_0} = \ldots[/tex]

T/T0 = 2pi * sqrt(L/g) / 2pi * sqrt(L0/g)

= sqrt(L/g) / sqrt(L0/g)

= sqrt(L) / sqrt(L0)

= ?

Now I'm lost again.

dmullin4 said:

= sqrt(L/g) / sqrt(L0/g)

= sqrt(L) / sqrt(L0)

= ?

Now I'm lost again.

[tex]\frac{T}{To}[/tex] = sqrt( Lo + Lo*α*t)/sqrt(Lo)
Length Lo of the grandfather clock is 1 m and its period is 2 s.
Since [tex]\alpha[/tex] is very small, by using binomial expansion, the equation can be rewritten as

[tex]\frac{T}{To}[/tex] = 1 + 1/2*α*t, where t is the temperature difference and α is the coefficient of linear expansion.

[tex]\frac{T}{To}[/tex] - 1 = 1/2*α*t

[tex]\frac{T - To}{To}[/tex] = 1/2*α*t

(T - To)/To = 1/2*α*t = the chage in then period per second.
(T - To) is the change in one oscillation, i.e. in 2 seconds.
( T - To )/To* number of seconds in one year gives you the required result.

Last edited:

rl.bhat said:

Where do you get the information that T = sqrt(L0 + L0*a*t) ?

dmullin4 said:
Where do you get the information that T = sqrt(L0 + L0*a*t) ?
Okay, I'll walk through it slowly. We start from your first line,

[tex]\frac{T}{T_0} = \frac{2\pi\sqrt{L/g}}{2\pi\sqrt{L_0/g}}[/tex]

Notice that the factors of 2 pi cancel and we can combine the square root.

[tex]\frac{T}{T_0} = \sqrt{\frac{L}{g}\frac{g}{L_0}}[/tex]

The factors of g cancel yielding

[tex]\frac{T}{T_0} = \sqrt{\frac{L}{L_0}}[/tex]

You with me so far?

The next step is to insert the expression for L in terms of L0, T and a into the expression. Do you follow?

Yes, I got that far. So now we use L = L0(1 + alpha * delta T) ?

sqrt(L0(1 + alpha * delta T)/L0) = sqrt(1 + alpha * delta T)

alpha = 19 x 10-6
delta T = 28 - 17 = 11

sqrt(1 + (19 x 10-6 * 11)) = sqrt(1 + 2.09 x 10-4)

sqrt(1.000209) = 1.0001044...

So is this number right? If so, now what?

Try re-reading rl.bhat's post, paying particular attention to the binomial expansion part.

rl.bhat said:
Since [tex]\alpha[/tex] is very small, by using binomial expansion, the equation can be rewritten as

[tex]\frac{T}{To}[/tex] = 1 + 1/2*α*t, where t is the temperature difference and α is the coefficient of linear expansion.

[tex]\frac{T}{To}[/tex] - 1 = 1/2*α*t

[tex]\frac{T - To}{To}[/tex] = 1/2*α*t

(T - To)/To = 1/2*α*t = the chage in then period per second.
(T - To) is the change in one oscillation, i.e. in 2 seconds.
( T - To )/To* number of seconds in one year gives you the required result.

OK, I got the part where sqrt(L0(1 + alpha * delta T)/L0) would equal sqrt((L0 + L0* alpha * delta T)/T0).

What I don't understand is where the 1/2 comes from. Does it have something to do with the original length being 1m and the original period equalling 2s?

dmullin4 said:
OK, I got the part where sqrt(L0(1 + alpha * delta T)/L0) would equal sqrt((L0 + L0* alpha * delta T)/T0).

What I don't understand is where the 1/2 comes from. Does it have something to do with the original length being 1m and the original period equalling 2s?
If x is very small ( 1 + x )^1/2 can be written as 1 + 1/2*x, by neglecting the higher powers of x in the binomial expansion.

I THINK I GOT IT!

Ok,
Original Period = 2pi*sqrt(L0/g) at 17 Celsius
New Period = 2pi*sqrt(L/g) at 28 Celsius

delta T/T0 = T-T0/T0 = (T/T0)-1

[2pi*sqrt(L0/g) / 2pi*sqrt(L/g)] -1 = sqrt(L/L0) -1 = sqrt(L0(1+alpha*delta temperature)/L0) -1

sqrt(1 + alpha*delta temperature) - 1 = sqrt(1 + 19*10^-6*11) - 1 = 1.044*10^-4

1.044*10^-4 * 31536000s = 3295.339s = 54.9 minutes!

My only question now is: Where did I pull "delta T/T0" from? I saw it on another website and used it to get the right answer, but I don't understand how it fits. I know that since its getting heated, the pendulum will expand, making L > L0 and thus T > T0. Am I missing something elementary? I feel like I'm looking over the obvious.

Thanks for everyone help.

sqrt(1 + 19*10^-6*11) - 1 = 1.044*10^-4

Check this calculation.

rl.bhat said:
sqrt(1 + 19*10^-6*11) - 1 = 1.044*10^-4

Check this calculation.

That caculation checks out. Let me try to type it better.

{sqrt[1+(19*10^-6)*11]} - 1 = sqrt(1.000209) - 1 = 0.0001044 = 1.044*10^-4

dmullin4 said:
That caculation checks out. Let me try to type it better.

{sqrt[1+(19*10^-6)*11]} - 1 = sqrt(1.000209) - 1 = 0.0001044 = 1.044*10^-4

OK. That is correct.

1. How does thermal expansion affect the pendulum of a grandfather clock?

Thermal expansion refers to the tendency of materials to expand or contract in response to temperature changes. In the case of a grandfather clock, the metal pendulum will expand when the temperature increases, causing the pendulum to become longer and the clock to run slower. Conversely, when the temperature decreases, the pendulum will contract, causing the clock to run faster.

2. Why is it important to consider thermal expansion in the design of a grandfather clock?

Thermal expansion is an important factor to consider because it can significantly affect the accuracy of a grandfather clock. If the materials used in the clock are not selected carefully, the pendulum may expand or contract too much and cause the clock to run either too fast or too slow. This can lead to inaccurate timekeeping and potential damage to the clock.

3. Can thermal expansion be controlled in a grandfather clock?

Yes, thermal expansion can be controlled by using materials with low coefficients of thermal expansion, such as certain types of metals and alloys. These materials are less affected by temperature changes and will minimize the impact on the pendulum's length and the clock's accuracy.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect thermal expansion in a grandfather clock?

The length of the pendulum plays a significant role in thermal expansion. The longer the pendulum, the more it will expand or contract with temperature changes, resulting in a greater effect on the clock's accuracy. This is why grandfather clocks typically have longer pendulums, as they are more accurate timekeepers.

5. Are there any other factors besides thermal expansion that can affect the accuracy of a grandfather clock?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of a grandfather clock, such as humidity, air pressure, and friction. Humidity can cause the materials in the clock to swell or shrink, affecting the pendulum's length and the clock's accuracy. Air pressure changes can also affect the pendulum's swing, resulting in a slight change in timekeeping. Friction between the clock's parts can also impact its accuracy if not properly lubricated.