Thermal Expansion with rod and ruler.

In summary, the question presents a scenario where a rod is measured at two different temperatures using a steel ruler and the change in length is given. The goal is to determine the coefficient of thermal expansion for the material of the rod. The relevant formula and values for the thermal expansion coefficient of steel are provided. The solution involves using the known expansion coefficient of the ruler to find the coefficient of the rod.
Aeighme

Homework Statement

A rod is measured to be exactly 21.02 cm long using a steel ruler at a temperature of 21.1oC. Both the rod and the ruler are placed in an oven with a temperature of 340.0oC where the rod now measures 21.32 cm using the same ruler. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for the material of which the rod is made?

Homework Equations

deltaL=L*alpha*deltaT

deltaL=Change in length
alpha=linear thermal expansion coefficient
deltaT= change in temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to solve for alpha of the rod =/

Physics news on Phys.org
Aeighme said:

Homework Statement

A rod is measured to be exactly 21.02 cm long using a steel ruler at a temperature of 21.1oC. Both the rod and the ruler are placed in an oven with a temperature of 340.0oC where the rod now measures 21.32 cm using the same ruler. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for the material of which the rod is made?

Homework Equations

deltaL=L*alpha*deltaT

deltaL=Change in length
alpha=linear thermal expansion coefficient
deltaT= change in temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to solve for alpha of the rod =/

I think you need the thermal coefficient of expansion for steel of 13*10-6/C

it's either 13E-6 or 11E-6,why 13?

and the ruler is steel and the rod is unknown...

Aeighme said:
it's either 13E-6 or 11E-6,why 13?

and the ruler is steel and the rod is unknown...

Whatever is given with the problem.
I just took the value from here:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/thexp.html#c1

Since you know how much the ruler expands then you should be able to figure what the expansion coefficient is of the rod.

Last edited:
Thanks,
one more question,
what should I assume the length of the ruler is?

Aeighme said:
Thanks,
one more question,
what should I assume the length of the ruler is?
You don't need to know do you?

If you know what the Ruler measures hot. Then you know what it would have measured if the Ruler was cold.

Since you know what the change in length of the Rod is by the change in length from the cold Ruler measurement equivalent, then you know what the coefficient of the Rod is don't you?

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of materials to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature.

2. How does thermal expansion affect rods and rulers?

Thermal expansion can cause rods and rulers to expand or contract, leading to changes in their length and dimensions.

3. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts per unit change in temperature.

4. How is thermal expansion with rod and ruler measured?

Thermal expansion with rod and ruler can be measured by using a ruler to mark the initial length of the rod, heating the rod, and then measuring the new length of the rod to calculate the change in length.

5. What real-life applications does thermal expansion with rod and ruler have?

Thermal expansion with rod and ruler is used in various industries, such as construction and manufacturing, to account for changes in dimensions due to temperature changes. It is also used in thermometers and thermostats to measure temperature changes.