Thermal losses through single glazing

• Thread starter lust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the conversation discusses the heat losses and U-factors of single glazing using different materials. The speaker has calculated different U-factors and questions which one is correct. The other speaker explains the importance of considering convective heat transfer and provides a link for more information. The conversation concludes with a discussion on how to accurately compare U-factors between different types of glazing.
lust
Hello,
I have looked through various websites, which show single glazing heat losses (U-factor) to be 5.7 W/m^2.K.
But when I use thermal conductivity basic formulas, the yielded results are quite different:
k of glass is 1.05 W/m.K; L -> glass thickness is 4 mm = 0.004 m; so:
U = k/L = 1.05 / 0.004 = 262.5 W/m^2.K

I tried transparent vynil sheets 800 microns thick (vynil-crystal, used as wind shields) and it yields better results, at k = 0.19 for PVC, U factor is about 190 W/m^2.K.

This is for an outside "winter garden", which I "single glazed" with vinyl crystal. Currently I am not able to heat it up above 10 degrees celsius, the roof is polycarbonate multi-wall sheet, supposed U factor given from manufacturers 3.4 W/m^2.K. 50 m^2 of room area.

So, my main question is, what is the CORRECT heat loss from single glazing? The one from the internet or the one that I have calculated?

Science news on Phys.org
Your result is wrong (too high) because you ignored the convective heat transfer between the glass and the air, on both sides.

If the room air temperature is say 20 degrees C and the outside air temperature is 0, the surface temperatures of the glass will be less than 20, and greater than 0. In fact if your number and the website are both "right", the glass surface temperatures are more like 10.2 and 9.8 degrees than 20 and 0.

I don't know if the website value is "right". An accurate value would depend on the wind speed outside the window, for example.

There is some information on convective heat transfoer from a flat plate to air here:
http://www.thermal-wizard.com/tmwiz/convect/natural/vp-isot/vp-isot.htm

Well, I've tried to understand what you've said, but I'm a non-physicist... Do I need to get the temperature difference in a different manner? I have filled the calculator you gave me with the following data:

specific heat: 840 J/kg.K
thermal expansion: 0.0000059 m/m.K
conductivity: 1.05 W/m.K
dynamic viscosity: 10 kg/m.s
density: 2800 kg/m^3
emissivity: 0

width: 1.0
height: 1.0
plate temperature: 15
ambient: 2

The results yielded 253 W as convective heat transfer, and 19 W/m^2.K for the coefficient;
I don't know for sure if this is the holy truth, and still need a more clear explanation on how convection can actually LOWER the heat loss.
Any further explanation I welcome :)

The numbers you supply are supposed to be the properties of air, not of the glass. The defailts are for air at 20 C which is probably near enough.

Basically you have three thermal resistances in series.

Convection between the air and glass inside the room
Conduction through the glass
Convection between the air and glass outside the room.

If you have the three "U" values, the overall "U" value is
$$\frac{1}{\frac{1}{U_1} + \frac{1}{U_2} + \frac{1}{U_3}}$$

So assuming your 19 W/m^2 K was right (it isn't, because the material propertires are wrong) the overall U value would be
1 / (1/19 + 1/262.5 + 1/19) = 9.2 W/m^2 K

Because the glass is a much better conductor (U = 262) than the convection between the glass and the air (U = 19), you can make the approximation that the temperature of both sides of the glass is mid way between the inside and outside air temperatures.

You will probably find the "U" values for the convection change a lot depending on the temperature difference. To compare with the glazing web site, you need to know what temperature difference they use as a standard value for comparing different types of glazing.

I understand your confusion and frustration with the different results you have found for the heat loss through single glazing. The reason for this discrepancy is that the U-factor given on websites is an overall average value that takes into account various factors such as the thermal conductivity of the glass, the thickness of the glass, and the thermal resistance of the frame. On the other hand, your calculation is based on the thermal conductivity of the glass alone, without considering these other factors. Additionally, the type of glazing material used can also greatly affect the U-factor.

To determine the most accurate heat loss for your specific situation, it is important to consider all of these factors and conduct a thorough analysis. This can be done by using specialized software or by consulting with a professional in the field of building science. It is also important to note that the U-factor is just one aspect of heat loss and there are other factors such as air leakage and solar gain that also play a role.

In terms of your specific winter garden, it is possible that the U-factor given by the manufacturers for the polycarbonate multi-wall sheet may not be accurate for your specific conditions. It is always best to consult with a professional and conduct a detailed analysis to determine the most accurate heat loss for your situation. I hope this helps clarify the concept of U-factor and the importance of considering all factors when determining heat loss through single glazing.

1. What are thermal losses through single glazing?

Thermal losses through single glazing refer to the amount of heat that escapes through a single-pane glass window or door. This can occur due to poor insulation and can result in higher energy costs and discomfort in the space.

2. How do thermal losses through single glazing occur?

Thermal losses through single glazing occur when there is a temperature difference between the inside and outside of a building. Heat will naturally flow from the warmer side to the colder side, and single-pane glass windows are not effective at preventing this transfer of heat.

3. How can thermal losses through single glazing be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce thermal losses through single glazing. One option is to upgrade to double or triple-pane windows, which provide better insulation. Another option is to add weather stripping or caulking around the window frame to prevent drafts. Additionally, using thick curtains or blinds can help reduce heat loss.

4. How much energy can be saved by reducing thermal losses through single glazing?

The amount of energy that can be saved by reducing thermal losses through single glazing depends on various factors such as the size and type of window, the climate, and the heating system in the building. However, studies have shown that upgrading to double-pane windows can save up to 24% on heating costs.

5. Are there any other benefits to reducing thermal losses through single glazing?

Yes, there are other benefits to reducing thermal losses through single glazing besides energy savings. These include increased comfort in the space, reduced condensation on windows, and a smaller carbon footprint. It can also help to reduce noise pollution from outside, making the space quieter.