Thermal Physics, finding the thermal conductivity of a metal

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
jv616
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



One end of a metal rod is maintained at 100°C, and the other end is placed in a large
container with ice and water at 0°C. The rod has length 50 cm and a cross-sectional area
of 0.8 cm
2
. The heat conducted by the rod melts 4 g of ice in 5 minutes. Calculate the
thermal conductivity of the metal.

Homework Equations



Q=M*C*(Delta T)
H=(-Delta T)/R
R=(delta X)/KA

The Attempt at a Solution


The first thing that I did was find the heat of ice
Q=(.4kg)(2050J/(M*K))(100-0) which gave me the value 82000 J
Since I now know the heat I plugged this value into the H=(-Delta T)/R

I solved and found that my R value was 1.2*E-3

I manipulated the last equation to give me
K=(delta x)/AR
And found a K value of 1024.99

I wanted to know if I did this problem correctly, any feedback would be appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In calculating Q, the ice is melting (going from ice at 0C to water at 0C). No ΔT is involved.