1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal conduction between 3 rods

1. Jun 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rods of copper, brass and steel are welded together to form a Y-shaped figure. The cross-sectional area of each rod is 2.0 cm2 . The free end of the copper rod is maintained at 100C, and the free ends of the brass and steel rods at 0 C. Assume there is no heat loss from the surface of the rods. The lengths of the rods are: copper, 13 cm; brass, 18 cm; steel, 24 cm. The thermal conductivities are: copper, 385 W m−1 K −1 ; brass, 109 W m−1 K −1 ; steel, 50.2 W m−1 K −1
    (a)What is the temperature of the junction point?
    (b)What is the heat current in each of the three rods?

2. Relevant equations

H = kA (TH - TC)/L

3. The attempt at a solution
    (a) I assumed that the heat flow through all 3 rods was the same:

kc (100 - T)/Lc = kb (T - 0.0)/Lb = ks (T - 0.0)/Ls

Lb kc (100 - T) = Lc kb]T

And with rearranging:

T = (100Lbkc)/(Lckb + Lbkc) = 83.0C

Is this correct? Can I just assume that heat flow is the same and ignore the steel rod?

(b) Do i just used: H = kA (TH - TC)/L again but for each metal? Because H = dQ/dt?

Copper: dQ/dt = (385)(2 x 10-4)(100-83)/0.13 = 10.1

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

I don't think that's a good assumption.

I'd switch the thermal circuit to an electric circuit ( temperatures = voltages, thermal conductivity = resistors, heat flow = current ).

Use Kirchhoffs current law ( KCL ) to calculate voltage and currents. ( It's only one equation needed ).

4. Jun 11, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Presumably, the junction temperature will be somewhere between 0 and 100C. Does it then make sense that, the ends of the steel rod being at different temperatures, that there be no heat flow thru the steel rod?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted