Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thermal Physics, Homework #1 problem #1

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    Consider a large number N of localized particles in an external magnetic field H. Each particle has spin 1/2.

Find the number of states, g(N,M), accessible to the system as a function of M=(Nup-Ndown), the magnetization.

Calculate the entropy per particle.

Determine the value of M for which the number of states is a maximum for a given N.

Equations that may help?
    N=Nup+Ndown

M=Nup-Ndown

g(N,s)= N!/(Nup!Ndown!)

σ(N,U)=log(g(N,U))

This is my first thermal physics course and I am kinda confused (and overwhelmed) by this first homework assignment if anyone could explain what I am suposed to do, or set me in a direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Kris

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    I should note, this homework is due tomorrow morning :(

any help appreciated!

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    Are you familiar with Stirling's Approximation:

[tex]
    \ln[N!]\approx N\ln[N]-N
    [/tex]

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4
    yes, the stirling's approximation just gives a means to calculate N! for very large N, but I still don't know how to apply that to entropy per particle...

6. Jan 18, 2010 #5
    Use the equations you are given:

[tex]
    \sigma=\ln\left[\frac{N!}{N_{up}!N_{down}!}\right]=\ln[N!]-\ln[N_{up}!]-\ln[N_{down}!]
    [/tex]

Apply Stirling's approximation to the above, then use the fact that [itex]N=N_{up}+N_{down}[/itex] and [itex]M=N_{up}-N_{down}[/itex].

7. Jan 18, 2010 #6
    okay thank you!,

"Determine the value of M for which the number of states is a maximum for a given N."
    The value of M should be 0 correct?, because the middle of the Gaussian distribution will be centered at the origin. M=Nup-Ndown

8. Jan 18, 2010 #7
    Correct, but I would say this as "the value of M will be zero because the maximum of the Gaussian distribution will be when [itex]N_{up}=N_{down}=N/2\rightarrow M=N_{up}-N_{down}=N_{up}-N_{up}=0[/itex]" rather than how you have it.

9. Jan 18, 2010 #8
    okay cool, your equation didnt show up could you re-post it?

10. Jan 18, 2010 #9
    That is weird, I thought \rightarrow worked here.... It should read

[itex]N_{up}=N_{down}=N/2[/itex] --> [itex]M=N_{up}-N_{down}=N_{up}-N_{up}=0[/itex]

11. Jan 18, 2010 #10
    thanks, I think I have got it now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook