1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Physics, Homework #1 problem #1

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    Consider a large number N of localized particles in an external magnetic field H. Each particle has spin 1/2.

Find the number of states, g(N,M), accessible to the system as a function of M=(Nup-Ndown), the magnetization.

Calculate the entropy per particle.

Determine the value of M for which the number of states is a maximum for a given N.

Equations that may help?
    N=Nup+Ndown

M=Nup-Ndown

g(N,s)= N!/(Nup!Ndown!)

σ(N,U)=log(g(N,U))

This is my first thermal physics course and I am kinda confused (and overwhelmed) by this first homework assignment if anyone could explain what I am suposed to do, or set me in a direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Kris

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    I should note, this homework is due tomorrow morning :(

any help appreciated!

4. Jan 18, 2010 #3
    Are you familiar with Stirling's Approximation:

[tex]
    \ln[N!]\approx N\ln[N]-N
    [/tex]

5. Jan 18, 2010 #4
    yes, the stirling's approximation just gives a means to calculate N! for very large N, but I still don't know how to apply that to entropy per particle...

6. Jan 18, 2010 #5
    Use the equations you are given:

[tex]
    \sigma=\ln\left[\frac{N!}{N_{up}!N_{down}!}\right]=\ln[N!]-\ln[N_{up}!]-\ln[N_{down}!]
    [/tex]

Apply Stirling's approximation to the above, then use the fact that [itex]N=N_{up}+N_{down}[/itex] and [itex]M=N_{up}-N_{down}[/itex].

7. Jan 18, 2010 #6
    okay thank you!,

"Determine the value of M for which the number of states is a maximum for a given N."
    The value of M should be 0 correct?, because the middle of the Gaussian distribution will be centered at the origin. M=Nup-Ndown

8. Jan 18, 2010 #7
    Correct, but I would say this as "the value of M will be zero because the maximum of the Gaussian distribution will be when [itex]N_{up}=N_{down}=N/2\rightarrow M=N_{up}-N_{down}=N_{up}-N_{up}=0[/itex]" rather than how you have it.

9. Jan 18, 2010 #8
    okay cool, your equation didnt show up could you re-post it?

10. Jan 18, 2010 #9
    That is weird, I thought \rightarrow worked here.... It should read

[itex]N_{up}=N_{down}=N/2[/itex] --> [itex]M=N_{up}-N_{down}=N_{up}-N_{up}=0[/itex]

11. Jan 18, 2010 #10
    thanks, I think I have got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook