Thermal Physics: Kinetic Energy of Neon Molecules

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
sun
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] thermal physics

Homework Statement


a) What is the total random kinetic energy of all the molecules in one mole of neon at a temperature of 305 K? I got 3801.83J

(b) With what speed would a mole of neon have to move so that the kinetic energy of the mass as a whole would be equal to the total random kinetic energy of its molecules?

Homework Equations



(1/2)mv^2=(3/2)kT
v(rms)=sqrt(3kT/m)

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not sure what to do in order to solve for part b. Not to sure if I'm even looking at the correct equations. Any suggestions?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any suggestions. I would love the help and greatly appreciate it. :)
 
I figured it out:

KE=1/2(mv^2)

KE=3801.83
m=20.2*10^-3