1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo, heat transfer rate, power plant

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A power plant generates 1300MW and operates at 315 °C a 20°C heat sink is available.
    what is the minimum rate at which heat must be discarded?

2. Relevant equations
    not really sure how to begin this one, have a feeling it is related to dq=Tds at constant pressure giving (dq/dT)p=T(dS/dT)p=(dH/dT)p=Cp but that seems to go no where. tried relating it to Enthalpy Changes along the path from 315->100 then condense to liquid water and go 100->20 but none of these seem to use the power out put. honestly completely lost on this one.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, Confusedby. Welcome to PF!

This looks like a basic heat engine problem. Have you studied the concept of efficiency of a heat engine and how the second law implies a maximum possible efficiency for given hot and cold reservoir temperatures?

4. Mar 24, 2013 #3
    Thank You

Well I feel a little silly, for some reason "maximum Thermal efficiency" became "maximum residual heat". If I were to use this arrangement:
    (W/e)-W=q residual. were e is the efficiency and W is the work. it should give the minimal heat flow if I assume Carnot Efficiency correct?

5. Mar 24, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. q is the heat discarded rather than the rate at which heat is discarded. But if you let W be the work done each second, then q will be the heat discarded each second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted