1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer through brass and rubber

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical brass plates, each 0.5 cm thick, are separated by a rubber spacer of thickness 0.1 cm which has the same cross sectional area. If the outer surfaces of the brass plates are kept at 0 °C and 100 °C respectively, calculate the temperature at each side of the rubber spacer given that the thermal conductivity of brass is 500 times bigger than that of rubber.

2. Relevant equations
    I used dQ/dt= -KA*(change in temperature/distance traveled)
    k is thermal conductivity of material
    3. The attempt at a solution

I know the rate of heat transfer is the same through the whole thing. K of brass is = to 500K of rubber
    and the heat transfer goes from the 100 side to the 0 side.

so I made 3 equations

first one (for 100 degree brass to first side of rubber)

dQ/dt= -500kA*(T2-100/0.5x10-2)

Second (for change in temperature over rubber (side one to side two

dQ/dt= -kA*(T3-T2/0.1x10-2)

third (second side of rubber to 0 degree brass)

dQ/dt= -500kA*(0-T3/0.5x10-2)

I put 2 of the equations equal to eachother but get silly numbers when I solve them (maybe the equations are wrong? or im solving them wrong?)

thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2015 #2
    Solve for the 3 temperature differences in terms of dQ/dt , and then add them up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted