Resistance of a water heaters heating element?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Rijad Hadzic
Messages
321
Reaction score
20

Homework Statement


Household water heaters use a 240 V rather than a 120 V source. What is the resistance of a water heater's heating element if it heats 40 gallons (151 kg) of water from 15 C to 60 C in 15 min

Homework Equations


P = IV
P = I^2R
I = dq/dt

The Attempt at a Solution


Honestly no clue. If anyone can give me some hints I would really appreciate this.

So far I have electrical units, V, and then I have kg, celsius, and seconds. I'm not sure how the given equations help me relate the units at all.

I need current and power, but those units do not help me at all.

I know I = dq/dt, and I thought 45 C / 900 s looks very similar to current but the units don't make sense to me...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to determine how much heat it takes to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water from 15 C to 60 C?
 
Chestermiller said:
Do you know how to determine how much heat it takes to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water from 15 C to 60 C?

I'm not sure actually.. this chapter that I'm studying is called Current and Resistance..

It has to do with specific heat, right? Also, does heat = thermal energy?
 
Rijad Hadzic said:
I'm not sure actually.. this chapter that I'm studying is called Current and Resistance..

It has to do with specific heat, right? Also, does heat = thermal energy?
Yes. Did you not study heat in freshman physics?
 
Chestermiller said:
Yes. Did you not study heat in freshman physics?

I don't think I studied it enough..

So if the specific heat of water is 4.187 x 10^3 J/(kg * k )

That means it requires 4.187 x 10^3 J to raise 1 kg of water by 1 kelvin, correct?
 
Chestermiller said:
What is the mass in kg of 40 gallons of water?

I think the asker had the converted number already [emoji846]. They wrote 151 kg.
 
Anyhow, using the heat you can now calculate the power (J/s). See that the heat is the 'J' and the time you have the 's'.

Now think about how you can get current!