1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance of a water heaters heating element?

1. Jul 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Household water heaters use a 240 V rather than a 120 V source. What is the resistance of a water heater's heating element if it heats 40 gallons (151 kg) of water from 15 C to 60 C in 15 min

2. Relevant equations
    P = IV
    P = I^2R
    I = dq/dt
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly no clue. If anyone can give me some hints I would really appreciate this.

So far I have electrical units, V, and then I have kg, Celcius, and seconds. I'm not sure how the given equations help me relate the units at all.

I need current and power, but those units do not help me at all.

I know I = dq/dt, and I thought 45 C / 900 s looks very similar to current but the units don't make sense to me...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2017 #2
    Do you know how to determine how much heat it takes to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water from 15 C to 60 C?

4. Jul 23, 2017 #3
    I'm not sure actually.. this chapter that I'm studying is called Current and Resistance..

It has to do with specific heat, right? Also, does heat = thermal energy?

5. Jul 23, 2017 #4
    Yes. Did you not study heat in freshman physics?

6. Jul 23, 2017 #5
    I don't think I studied it enough..

So if the specific heat of water is 4.187 x 10^3 J/(kg * k )

That means it requires 4.187 x 10^3 J to raise 1 kg of water by 1 kelvin, correct?

7. Jul 23, 2017 #6

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, heat = thermal energy. To raise a kg water 1°C, you need 4184 Joules of heat (thermal energy).

http://www.kentchemistry.com/links/Energy/SpecificHeat.htm

8. Jul 23, 2017 #7
    What is the mass in kg of 40 gallons of water?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. Jul 23, 2017 #8
    I think the asker had the converted number already . They wrote 151 kg.

10. Jul 23, 2017 #9
    Anyhow, using the heat you can now calculate the power (J/s). See that the heat is the 'J' and the time you have the 's'.

Now think about how you can get current!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted