1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo: Need help finding T2 and V2 in an adiabat

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1 mole of ideal gas initially at 294 K is compressed adiabatically and
    reversibly from 0.83 atm to 10.0 atm. Calculate the initial and …final volumes,
    the final temperature, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U; [itex]\Delta[/itex]H; Q; and W: Assume that Cv = (5/2)R

Given:

n = 1 mol
    T1 = 294 K
    P1 = 0.83 atm
    P2 = 10 atm
    Q = 0

Find
    V1, V2, [itex]\Delta[/itex]U, Q, [itex]\Delta[/itex]H, T2, W

2. Relevant equations

1. The professor gave that specific heat at constant volume is (5/2)R, however, the volume of the problem changes. Is this equation completely irrelevant to the problem?

2. How to you find the final temperature and final volume?

3. The attempt at a solution

I started off with PV = nRT for the initial givens and obtained that V1 = 29.1 L

Now, I'm stuck. I've tried using the ideal gas equation again, but I have 2 unknowns. I tried rearranging the equation and setting it equal the initial equations. I know how to find the other unknowns, but I'm stuck at this part for some reason.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to use the adiabatic condition: [itex]PV^\gamma = constant = K[/itex] which can be rewritten: [itex]TV^{\gamma-1} = K/nR = constant[/itex]

AM

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3
    I'm assuming that the constant K will remain the same for p1*v1 and p2*v2

If I set P1V1γ = K, then I can use that constant for P2V2γ and obtain the volume, correct?

5. Sep 1, 2012 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it didn't, it would not be constant!

Exactly.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook