1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic equipartition of energy theorem - application to life

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    hi, I'm simulating a system of molecules (water) and in order to pass through a barrier they have to overcome an energy barrier of 4kT. What is the probability of a water molecule passing the barrier or perhaps what is the average energy of a water molecule in my system?

I know it's 1/2 *kT per each degree of freedom, but how many degrees of freedom do my water molecules have? (I'm simulating at 320K, water molecules are SPC/E).

Oh, and i also have ions in my system. What is their average energy? 3/2kT?

Thanks for any insight!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2
    Did you mean degrees of freedom per water molecule?

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~broholm/l37/node5.html [Broken]

Perhaps you should also take into consideration the pressure and pressure difference in the water?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Mar 31, 2012 #3

K^2

Science Advisor

It's not that trivial for fluids due to interactions. You can basically look at Maxwell-Boltzman Distribution which deals with something very similar for gases, and you might be able to use it as a rough estimate for water, but don't expect anything particularly good out of it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook