1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamic Postulates

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider relationship for a thermodynamic system:

S=A[UVN]^d , where A is a constant and d a real number.

I need to explain why d=1/3 is the only allowed value consistent with the postulates of thermodynamics.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a hard time determining why this is the case from the postulates.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #2
    You should start by writing down the postulates you think could be relevant.

4. Sep 5, 2013 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please check your PMs. You must write out the relevant equations and show your attempt at solving this problem.

5. Sep 5, 2013 #4
    This is a problem involving units. The units on both sides of the equation must match.

6. Sep 10, 2013 #5
    I don't have an attempt because I'm completely stumped.

The units on the left hand side are J/K, and on the right they are J^(1/3) m - which don't match.

I can't see anything in the postulates that helps either:

P1 - There exist equilibrium states characterised completely by U, V, N.
    P2 - There exists a function of the macroscopic variables, the entropy, which is maximised when a constraint is removed
    P3 - Entropy is additive over subsystems, and is a continuous and differentiable and increasing function of the total internal energy U

7. Sep 10, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Considering you don't know the units of A, it's pointless to match units between sides.

Can you give an example of what the third postulate means?

8. Sep 10, 2013 #7
    While you can't match units directly because of the A term you can still make progress by requiring that the entropy be extensive.

9. Sep 11, 2013 #8
    This is important.

10. Sep 11, 2013 #9
    U, V, N, and S are all extensive properties. So, if you double U, V, and N, what has to happen to S?

11. Sep 11, 2013 #10
    I know that for a constant:

S(kN,KV,KU)=kS(N,V,U)

But I'm not sure how that restricts the power to a third.

12. Sep 11, 2013 #11
    Substitute kU, kV, and kN, and kS into your thermodynamic relationship, and see what you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted