Thermodynamic Problem involving work

In summary: For the average, i got 1.889e6 Pascals. Ok, so converting the liters to m^3 i got .25 m^3and .032 m^3.In summary, the gas was compressed from a pressure of 1.19e5 Pa and volume of 250 L to a volume of 32.0 L. Work was done on the gas by 1.889e6 Pascals.
Tomiscool

Homework Statement

A monatomic ideal gas is compressed adiabatically from a pressure of 1.19e5 Pa and volume of 250 L to a volume of 32.0 L.(a) What is the new pressure of the gas in Pa?

(b) How much work is done on the gas?

Homework Equations

I know that W= Average P (Delta V)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used P (v^(5/3)) = P (V^(5/3)) to solve for P2, and i got 3.6e6 Pa which was correct
Now I just need help in solving for part b, the work done on the gas. I tried finding the average pressure between the two pressures and multiplying it by the change in volume, but Webassign said it was an incorrect answer. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tomiscool said:
I used P (v^(5/3)) = P (V^(5/3)) to solve for P2, and i got 3.6e6 Pa which was correct
Now I just need help in solving for part b, the work done on the gas. I tried finding the average pressure between the two pressures and multiplying it by the change in volume, but Webassign said it was an incorrect answer. Any help please?

Hi, welcome to PF!

What result did you get for the average pressure?

Also, your volumes are given in litres. Did you remember to convert everything to SI units? If you didn't, the answer you got for work would not be expressed in joules, which is why its numeric value would be incorrect.

Tomiscool said:
(b) How much work is done on the gas?

Homework Equations

I know that W= Average P (Delta V)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I just need help in solving for part b, the work done on the gas. I tried finding the average pressure between the two pressures and multiplying it by the change in volume, but Webassign said it was an incorrect answer.
Since it is adiabatic, what can you say about the relationship between Work and change in internal energy? Can you find the change in internal energy of the gas? Use:

[tex]T_1V^{\gamma-1}_1 = T_2V^{\gamma-1}_2 [/tex] and

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/itex]

AM

For the average, i got 1.889e6 Pascals. Ok, so converting the liters to m^3 i got .25 m^3and .032 m^3.

RE Andrew Mason: thank you for the formulas, could you just explain the first one to me, and how I would go about using these formulas to solve for the Work.

Andrew Mason said:
Since it is adiabatic, what can you say about the relationship between Work and change in internal energy? Can you find the change in internal energy of the gas? Use:

[tex]T_1V^{\gamma-1}_1 = T_2V^{\gamma-1}_2 [/tex] and

[tex]\Delta U = nC_v\Delta T[/itex]

AM

Hey, just curious, (since you seem to know what you're talking about). Is the "average pressure" method a dead end for adiabatic compression (at least for the OP) because a linear change in volume won't result in a linear change in pressure, meaning that one won't be able to find the average P without integrating?

I know that there is no heat flow in, so the work must remain the same. Therefore the internal energy must remain the same correct?

Any help?

Tomiscool said:
I know that there is no heat flow in, so the work must remain the same. Therefore the internal energy must remain the same correct?
NO! Apply the first law:

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + W[/tex] where W is the work done by the gas.

If [itex]\Delta Q = 0[/itex] what can you say about the relationship between W and [itex]\Delta U[/itex]?

The adiabatic condition that you have used for the first part:

[tex]PV^{\gamma} = K [/tex] can be rewritten as:

[tex](nRT/V)V^{\gamma} = nRTV^{\gamma-1} = K[/tex]

You can use this to determine the change in temperature in an adiabatic process. You can use that change in temperature to determine the change in internal energy and, hence, the work done in the adiabatic process.

AM

1. What is the definition of work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another through the application of a force over a distance. It is represented by the letter "W" and is typically measured in joules (J).

2. How is work related to thermodynamic processes?

In thermodynamics, work is an important factor in understanding and analyzing processes such as heat transfer and changes in internal energy. It is often used in equations to calculate the efficiency and performance of a system.

3. Can you explain the difference between work done on a system and work done by a system?

Work done on a system is when external forces act on the system to cause a change in the system's internal energy. Work done by a system is when the system itself performs work on its surroundings, resulting in a change in the system's internal energy.

4. How is work calculated in thermodynamics?

The formula for calculating work in thermodynamics is W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. It is important to note that both force and distance must be in the same unit (e.g. Newtons and meters).

5. What is the relationship between work and entropy?

In thermodynamics, work and entropy are both measures of energy. The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or transformation, some energy will be lost as work and some will be lost as heat, increasing the overall entropy of the system. Therefore, work and entropy have an inverse relationship.