1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics cycle work question

1. Jun 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of gas occupying volume V1 = 2 m3 at the pressure P1 = 4*10^5 Pa performs the cycle represented in the Figure that i have uploaded.What is the work of gas in this cycle, knowing that the pressure P2 = 10^5 Pa
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    Work=1/2 * (P1 - P2) * (V1 - V3)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The work is the area within the triangle.
    1/2 base * height
    = 1/2 * (P1 - P2) * (V1 - V3)

The question that i have is how do i find V3?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2017 #2
  4. Jun 20, 2017 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

The cartesian equation of the line from the step ##3## to the step ##2## is ##P(V)=2\cdot 10^5 \cdot V## so ## V_{3}=0,5 m^3##.

5. Jun 20, 2017 #4
    Can you please explain this to me?

For example how did you get 2*10^5?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  6. Jun 20, 2017 #5

Ssnow

Gold Member

The number ##2\cdot 10^5## is the angular coefficient of the line from the process ##3## to ##2##. The line pass through the origin so the line has equation of the form ##P=m\cdot V## in order to find ##m## you can use the point ##(V_{1},P_{1})=(2,4\cdot 10^5)##, so ##4\cdot 10^5=m\cdot 2## and ##m=2\cdot 10^5##...
    Ssnow

7. Jun 20, 2017 #6
    What is m? Is this some kinda new thing like volume or pressure or not?
    also now that i know m how do i find V3

and also i apologize for being obnoxious and wasting your time but..... why is the line passing through the origin means that the equation is of the form P=m*V?
    again sorry for so many questions but i am genuinly curios and really want to learn before school starts

8. Jun 21, 2017 #7
    bump for visibility

9. Jun 23, 2017 #8

Ssnow

Gold Member

In a Cartesian plane, with coordinates ##x## and ##y## you can rapresent a line (a direct proportionality law between ##x## and ##y##) using the equation ##y=mx+q## where ##m## is called the angular coefficient and ##q## is the pont where the line intersect the ##y## axis. In your case instead ##y## and ##x## there are ##P## and ##V## so the equation of your line is ##P=mV+q##. Now ##q## must be ##0## because the line pass in the origin, so from ##0=m\cdot 0 + q## you find ##q=0##, and ##P=mV## . In order to find the line equation you must determine the coefficient ##m##. You will use the other point on the line so as I said in the previous post ##P=2\cdot 10^5\cdot V##. Now you have the general equation of the line and using the point ##(P_{2},V_{3})=(10^5,V_{3})## you can find ##V_{3}##...
    Ssnow

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted