1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics closed cycle entropy cycle

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure below shows a plot of temperature T versus entropy S for the closed cycle of a particular heat engine (not necessarily an ideal gas) which consists of 3 processes and which operates between two heater reservoirs, a hot reservoir with temperature T1 and a cold reservoir with temperature T2. Assume that each of the 3 processes is reversible.

A B

C

it's a triangle like that with T in the y direction and entropy in the x direction.

a) show that the heat Q1 absorbed by the engine in the process a to b and the heat Q2 rejected by the engine in process b to c are given by

Q1 = T1(S2 - S1) and Q2 = (S2 - S1)((T1+T2)/2)

b) calculate the work Wby performed by the engine in one complete cycle in terms of T1, T2, S1, and S2.

c) use the def of the efficiency eta = Wby/Q1 to show that

eta= (T1-T2)/2T1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

ΔS = ∫dQ/T1 because from a to b it's constant temp

so pretty simple to get Q1

I'm not sure how Q2 arises especially that it is (T1+T2)/2

ΔS = ∫dQ/T = ∫cvndT/T but that wouldn't give me the right answer unless there is some algebra involved

any help will be appreciated thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    Is ther a different equation for a system in contact with both reservoirs?

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    can anyone give me an idea, i'm still having problems with the Q2 = (S2-S1)((T1+T2)/2)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook