1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics: Control Volume analysis using energy

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Steam flows through an uninsulated pipe at 0.5 kg/s, entering at 5 bar, 440 C and exiting at 3 bar, 320 C. How much energy is lost from the steam per hour?

2. Relevant equations

Which terms in the energy eqn can drop out? I'm having trouble with that.

Is there only one W?

3. The attempt at a solution

Starting w/ the full energy eqn:

de/dt = Q - W_ + (m_i)[u_i + (p_i)(v_i) + (v_i)^2 + g*z_i] - (m_e)[u_v + (p_e)(v_) + (v_e)^2 + g*z_e]

where Q = vol. flow rate
    W = work rate
    m = mass flow rate
    subscript e = out
    subscript i = in
    v = velocity
    u = specific internal energy
    p = pressure

So z_i = z_e = 0

Q = mv = (0.5)(0.6548) = 0.3274?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2009 #2
    I would treat this as a steady state problem. Meaning your mass flow rate in is going to equal your mass flow rate out. and de/dt is zero.

Since we're not given any sorts of elevation, the potential energy will be drop out. No work is happening, so W will also drop out.

You will be left with
    Q/m=hb-ha+(V^2/2)b-(V^2/2)a

h is of course equal to u+pv

a=in
    b=out
    m=mass flow rate
    Q=energy rate
    v=specific volume
    h=enthalpy
    V=velocity

I can't check any of your values because I don't have a thermo book with me.

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    ok that makes sense, but how do i find velocity?

5. Jan 17, 2009 #4
    You know what, based on the information given, I would let velocity drop out as well. In a basic thermo class most prevalent place you're going to see velocity -not- being negligible is in nozzle and diffuser problems, or where it is expressively given to you in the problem statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?