1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics- determining mechanical power

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1

MacLaddy

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello all,

I've worked through the problem below, but I feel my answer is incorrect. I would appreciate it if someone could check my work.

Water is pumped from a lower reservoir to a higher reservoir by a pump that provides 20kW of shaft power. The free surface of the upper reservoir is 45m higher than that of the lower reservoir. If the flow rate of water is measured to be 0.03 m^3/s, determine mechanical power that is converted to thermal energy during this process due to frictional effects.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]e_m = ke =(\frac{P}{\rho})(\frac{1}{2}\vec{V}^2)(gz)[/itex]

[itex]\dot{E}=\dot{m}e_m[/itex]

[itex]\dot{m}=\rho\dot{V}[/itex]

[itex]\eta=\frac{energy-out}{energy-in}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]e_m = ke =(\frac{P}{\rho})(\frac{1}{2}\vec{V}^2)(gz)=gz=(9.81\frac{m}{s^2})(45m)=441.45\frac{m^2}{s^2}=441.45\frac{J}{kg}[/itex]

[itex]\dot{m}=\rho\dot{V}=(1 \frac{kg}{m^3})(0.03\frac{m^3}{s})=0.03\frac{kg}{s}[/itex]

[itex]\dot{E}=\dot{m}e_m=(0.03\frac{kg}{s})(441.45\frac{J}{kg})=13.24\frac{J}{s}=13.24W = 13.24*10^{-3}kW[/itex]

[itex]\eta=\frac{13.24*10^{-3}kW}{20kW}=.66*10^{-3}=0.066[/itex]%

[itex]20kW-20\eta= 19.99 kW[/itex]

So 19.99 kW out of 20 are wasted to heat in this problem? doesn't seem correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the density of water as 1 kg / m^3. This is some really, really light water.

4. Sep 8, 2013 #3

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Ha, how did I miss that? Thanks.

How's the rest of my method look?

5. Sep 8, 2013 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

You have the wrong value for the density of water. [edit: nevermind, Steam King beat me to it]

6. Sep 8, 2013 #5

MacLaddy

Gold Member

Going through it with the proper density, I come up with 6.76 kW lost to heat. Sound about right?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted