Thermodynamics, Finding Work and Heat transfer

In summary, the problem involves a piston cylinder assembly containing two moles of Nitrogen undergoing two processes: 1) Constant pressure at 5 bar from V1=1.33m^3 to V2=1m^2, and 2) Constant volume to P3=4bar. Assuming ideal gas behavior and neglecting kinetic and potential energy effects, the work and heat transfer for each process must be determined in KJ. The equation pV^n=constant is only used for adiabatic processes, which is not the case here. The work for process 1-2 is calculated to be -1.65KJ, and by determining ΔU, the heat transfer for each process can be calculated.
crazyhiindu25

Homework Statement

Two-tenghts Kmol of Nitrogen in a piston cylinder assembly undergoes two processes in a series as follows...

Process 1-2: Constant pressure at 5 bar from V1=1.33m^3 to V2 = 1m^2
Process 2-3: Constant volume to P3=4bar

Assuming ideal gas behavior and neglecting kinetic and potential energy effects, determine the work and heat transfer for each process in KJ

The Attempt at a Solution

What i have so far is W = f(5 dV, v, 1,1.33) = -1.65KJ. -f=integral

and then Q = ^U + W and I can figure out ^U. The problem i have is with my answer for W. Do i use the equation i presented, or am i suppose to use pV^n = constant. I guess i am just a little confused on what equation is used when.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
crazyhiindu25 said:

Homework Statement

Two-tenghts Kmol of Nitrogen in a piston cylinder assembly undergoes two processes in a series as follows...

Process 1-2: Constant pressure at 5 bar from V1=1.33m^3 to V2 = 1m^2
Process 2-3: Constant volume to P3=4bar

Assuming ideal gas behavior and neglecting kinetic and potential energy effects, determine the work and heat transfer for each process in KJ

The Attempt at a Solution

What i have so far is W = f(5 dV, v, 1,1.33) = -1.65KJ. -f=integral

and then Q = ^U + W and I can figure out ^U. The problem i have is with my answer for W. Do i use the equation i presented, or am i suppose to use pV^n = constant. I guess i am just a little confused on what equation is used when.

Thank You
pV^n = constant is only used when Q=0, i.e. for adiabatic processes. That is not the case here -- these paths follow either p=constant or V=constant.

Okay, you got W. So if you calculate ΔU, then you can get Q.

What are the temperatures at the three points 1, 2, and 3? That would help you calculate U at each point, and therefore ΔU for each path.

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the study of how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms. It is important because it helps us understand how systems behave and how energy can be used to perform work or produce heat.

2. How is work calculated in thermodynamics?

Work is calculated as the product of force and displacement, or W = F x d. In thermodynamics, work is often expressed as the change in energy of a system, which can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics: ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the system, and W is the work done by the system.

3. What is heat transfer and what are the three types?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another. The three types are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. How is heat transfer related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. Heat transfer is directly related to this law because it is the process by which energy is transferred from a hotter object to a cooler object, resulting in a more disordered state and an increase in entropy.

5. How is thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and chemical processes. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of materials and substances under different conditions, which is important in fields such as materials science and environmental engineering.