Thermodynamics: First law and work definition

In summary, the conversation discusses doubts about the definition of work in thermodynamics and its relation to energy change in a system. The topic is brought up in the context of teaching thermodynamics and a specific problem involving an adiabatic process with a piston. The conversation also mentions a paper that may provide clarification and the use of three equations in thermodynamics. The problem in the discussion involves calculating work and energy change for different sections of a cylinder with a locked piston. The conversation ends with a request for help with understanding the second equation used in thermodynamics.
FFRamirez
I've been having some doubts regarding the definition of work in thermodynamics and how it is related to the change of energy in the system. I have tried asking this in physics stack exchange but I was unable to obtain a satisfactory answer; now that I am trying again in this forum I will aim to do my best in being clear about my question and I will also try to motivate it with a "problem" from the begining. I apologize if this is not the right subforum for this, wasn't sure where else to post it.

When teaching thermodynamics, the work exchanged by a system is usually given as a definition ([itex]W_{PV}=\int -p_{ext}\cdot dV[/itex]) in the context of the first principle ([itex]\Delta U=\Delta Q + \Delta W [/itex]), which is then said to be an expression of the conservation of energy. However, classical dynamics already introduce concepts of work and conservation of energy and, at least to me, the correlation between these and the thermodynamical ones is not that apparent. For example, considering an adiabatic process, it is not immediate that the change of internal energy of a system will be equal to the work of the external forces (why the external? why not the internal? why not the resultant?).

Looking through the internet, I found this paper, which seems promising but it gets a little messy near the end and so I wasn't able to determine if it has good science; if someone is willing to check it out, it would be great.

Homework Statement

Consider a very big cilinder with a piston in the middle, dividing it into two sections (A and B), both containing a certain amount of gas. All walls, including the piston, are adiabatic. The piston is locked and system A has a bigger preassure that system B. If we were to release the piston but lock it again before any significant change in preassure of any of the sections: calculate the work and ΔU for each section and for the whole system.

Homework Equations

[itex]dW_{PV}=p_{ext}\cdot dV[/itex] and [itex]dU=dQ+dU[/itex] (I am using the egocentric reference frame).

The Attempt at a Solution

Since each system is adiabatic, the change of internal energy must be equal to the work for that system, which is equal to [itex]p_{ext}\cdot\Delta V_{int}[/itex]. So then:

[itex]\Delta U_{A}=W_{A}=-p_{B}\cdot\Delta V_{A}[/itex]

[itex]\Delta U_{B}=W_{B}=-p_{A}\cdot\Delta V_{B}=p_{A}\cdot\Delta V_{A}[/itex]

[itex]\Delta U_{T}=\Delta U_{A} + \Delta U_{A} =(p_{A}-p_{B})\cdot\Delta V_{A}>0[/itex]

But, on the other hand, the total system is adiabatic and its walls don't move, so its change in internal energy must be equal to 0. What I suspect is happening here is that I should also consider the loss of potential energy of the piston, but I have never seen such a consideration in other problems of thermodynamics. Moreover, I have many times heard the reasoning that "the work done to system B must be the same as the work done by system A" without any backing argument, which in this case seems clearly not to be true.

The reason I believe this problem is related to my conceptual doubt, is that it all has to do with not knowing clearly why is it that we relate the work of the external forces with the changes in the internal energy, what are the approximations and/or considerations behind that reasoning; and hence not knowing when other considerations need to apply.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an adiabatic process and You are takink pressure constant. The total change in internall energy of the system is zero. The formula for work done is dW = pdv. When pressure is constant it becomes p*delta(V).

There are three equations which i use in the thetmodynamics. I am able to solve most of the problems usnig these three only.

Q = U + W
dW = pdV
U = fRT/2

you are having problem with the second one i guess.

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to work?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This means that work is a form of energy transfer and is accounted for in the first law of thermodynamics.

3. What is an example of the first law of thermodynamics in action?

An example of the first law of thermodynamics is a car engine. The fuel is burned inside the engine, releasing heat energy, which is then converted into mechanical energy to move the car. The total amount of energy remains constant, but it is transformed from one form to another.

4. How is the first law of thermodynamics different from the second law?

The first law of thermodynamics deals with the conservation of energy, while the second law of thermodynamics deals with the direction of energy transfer and the concept of entropy. The first law does not place any restrictions on the direction of energy transfer, while the second law states that energy always flows from a higher energy state to a lower energy state.

5. What is the importance of the first law of thermodynamics in science and engineering?

The first law of thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in science and engineering, as it governs the behavior of energy in all physical and chemical processes. It allows scientists and engineers to analyze and predict how energy will be transferred and transformed in different systems, making it a crucial concept in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.