Thermodynamics help with entropy

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an adiabatic liquid-vapor separator separating wet steam into a saturated liquid and saturated vapor stream at a pressure greater than 100 psia. The increase in entropy principle suggests that this is not possible, and the individual attempts at finding a solution involve using a t s diagram and the Clapeyron equation. Ultimately, the solution is found to be simple.
Puff

Homework Statement

Is it possible for an adiabatic liquid-vapor separator to separate wet steam at 100 psia, 90 % quality into a saturated liquid stream and a saturated vapor stream both at a pressure greater than 100 psia?

Ans: (no according to the increase in entropy principle)

I need to prove this

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried proving by using a t s diagram, but I could make any sense of it

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, what does it take to move up in the +p-direction on a p-V diagram when all you can have is saturated water, saturated vapor, and a combination of the two?

If you want to be really sophisticated :smile: - what does the Clapeyron equation tell you?

I figured it out,it was actually very simple, Thanks for the help

1. What is entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is a property that describes the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. How does entropy relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that systems tend to become more disordered and less able to do work over time.

3. Can entropy be reversed or decreased?

In isolated systems, it is not possible to decrease entropy. However, in open systems, energy and matter can flow in and out, allowing for local decreases in entropy.

4. How is entropy calculated in thermodynamics?

Entropy is calculated using the equation S = k ln W, where S is entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates that correspond to a given macrostate.

5. How does entropy affect the efficiency of thermodynamic processes?

The increase in entropy during a thermodynamic process leads to a decrease in the available energy for work. This means that the efficiency of the process will decrease as well.