1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics ice cube question

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much energy is required to change a 40.0 g ice cube from ice at -8.0°C to steam at 108°C?

2. Relevant equations
    q=mct

3. The attempt at a solution
    i remember one of our TAs going over something like this a long time ago..I think i have to like add up all the energies from the ice going to like 0 C then to like 100C and then 108 C??

can someone help me out

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2
  4. Jan 24, 2009 #3
    ok tell me if im correct
    add up all the energy from ice going from -8 to 0
    0 to 100 and then 100 to 108?

am i even close?

5. Jan 24, 2009 #4
    Yes, you are. Now you have to also consider the energy required to change phase (ice to water, water to steam).

6. Jan 24, 2009 #5
    umm im not sure what that means

7. Jan 28, 2009 #6
    Consider: http://www.splung.com/heat/images/latentheat/phasechange.png and also the URL I gave you in my first post.

We separate this problem into stages:

Energy is required to raise the temperature of the solid, in this case the ice, from -8 to 0 degrees celcius. This is stage A-B.

Energy is then required to change phase from ice to water. At this point the temperature remains the same. This is stage B-C.

Once again, energy is required to raise the temperature from 0 to 100 degrees celcius. This is stage C-D.

The water then changes state again to steam. This is another phase change. This is stage D-E.

Finally, the temperature of the steam is raised by 8 degrees to 108 degrees celcius. This is stage E-F.

So, to calculate the energy required to raise 40g of ice from -8 to 108 degrees celcius we must use two equations. One to calculate the energy required to change phase at stages B-C and D-E, and another to calculate the energy required to raise the temperature at stages A-B, C-D and E-F.

The latent heat equation is:

[tex]Q=mL[/tex]

and the other equation required is the one you've already specified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?