1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics: ideal gas undergoing an isothermal process

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For an ideal gas, undergoing a quasistatic process, the equations below are correct. Evaluate them given that we have an isothermal process

2. Relevant equations

[itex]PV^\alpha=K[/itex] where K is a constant and [itex]\alpha=C-C_P/C-C_V[/itex]

[itex]W = \frac{K}{\alpha -1} (\frac{1}{V_f^{\alpha-1}}-\frac{1}{V_i^{\alpha-1}})[/itex]
    [itex]Q = C(T_f -T_i)[/itex]
    [itex]\Delta S= Cln\frac{T_f}{T_i}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For an isothermal process, ΔT = 0, but what does that mean for the equations given? First I though it would mean that C→∞, but that would mean that Q=0 and W→∞ (because [itex]\alpha[/itex]→1), which clearly is not correct.

How should I argue?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2
    Or does these equations not apply for isothermal processes?

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This looks wrong. For example, if it's an isothermal process, α = 1 but then (C-Cp)/(C-Cv) = 1 or Cp = Cv which is definitely not true for an ideal gas.

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4
    I though α=1 because C→∞ (C=Q/dT, where dT→0)?

Anyways, I'm thinking that these equations are not good to use when the process is isothermal, as the equations for the work, heat and entropy becomes of the type: ∞ muliplied with 0. Do you think this is a good conclusion?

6. Oct 12, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The point of the problem might be to figure out how these indeterminate forms can be evaluated and to show the result is what you'd expect for an isothermal process.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook