Thermodynamics involving rods and heat transfer with conduction

In summary, two identical rectangular rods of metal are welded end to end with temperatures of 0 Celcius on the left side and 100 Celcius on the right side. In 2 minutes, 10 joules of heat is conducted from the right side to the left side at a constant rate. The question is how much time would be required to conduct 10 joules if the rods were welded side to side. However, there is no mention of the lengths of the rods, which is important in finding the equation needed to solve the problem. The equation mentioned, "10*A/L=T2L/A", is unclear and it is unclear how it was derived. The issue of length and area is also not mentioned, making
goodiegrady
ok...Two identical rectangular rods of metal are welded end to end (hot dog to hot dog) with a temperature of 0 Celcius on the left side and a temperature of 100 celcius on the right side. in 2 min 10 joules is conducted at a constant rate from the right side to the left side. How much time would be required to conduct 10 J if the rods were welded side to side {hamburger to hamburger}.

NO lengths mentioned which is what I am stuck on. I can get to 10*A/L=T2L/A through Q/T. K would cancel so would Q. not sure what to do with length and area as these are kind of important but not listed any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the basic equation you are using here? I don't see how you got to "10*A/L=T2L/A". It may be right, I just don't see how you got there.

I would suggest that the missing information of the length and area of the rods is crucial in solving this problem. Without these values, it is impossible to accurately calculate the time required for the heat transfer. Additionally, the question does not specify the material of the rods, which is also important in determining the rate of heat conduction. I would recommend clarifying these details in order to accurately solve the problem.

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy.

2. How does heat transfer occur with conduction?

Heat transfer through conduction occurs when there is a temperature difference between two objects in contact with each other, causing the transfer of thermal energy from the hotter object to the colder one.

3. What is the role of rods in thermodynamics involving heat transfer with conduction?

Rods are used in thermodynamics involving heat transfer with conduction as they are good conductors of heat and can be used to transfer heat from one point to another.

4. How does the length and thickness of a rod affect heat transfer through conduction?

The longer and thicker the rod, the slower the rate of heat transfer through conduction. This is because the heat has to travel a longer distance and through more material, resulting in more resistance.

5. What is the equation for calculating heat transfer through conduction in a rod?

The equation for heat transfer through conduction in a rod is Q = kAΔT/L, where Q is the amount of heat transferred, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the cross-sectional area of the rod, ΔT is the temperature difference between the two ends of the rod, and L is the length of the rod.