1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - know process, work and change in entropy. Final temperature?

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    So, the problem is:
    A 200-gram sample of dry air is heated isobarically. Its entropy increases by 19.2 J/K and the work done by expansion is 1.61x103 J. Solve for the final temperature of the air.

Okay, since p=const => dq=CpdT thus instead of dq=du+dw we can write
    dq=dq(Cv/Cp)+dw
    can find dq=460.46
    So i know dq,du,dw,d[tex]\phi[/tex], but how do I get final temperature? All I can find is dT but it's useless sine I don't know initial temperature.
    And where do I put mass and how to use the d[tex]\phi[/tex]=dq/T formula? Looks like it will be needed here...

Thanks a lot in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2
    nevermind. solved it.

4. Sep 14, 2008 #3
    Aw. I have this problem too and I'm stuck on it. :(

5. Sep 14, 2008 #4
    Get Tfinal - Tinitial through work, then you can solve integral dphi=dq/t and get the answer for Tfinal.

6. Sep 16, 2008 #5
    I have this problem too and i still do not understand how you can solve for T final if there is not an initial temp given.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?