Thermodynamics, melting, phase change

In summary, thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies energy and its transformations, including heat and work. Melting is the process of changing a substance from a solid to a liquid state, while boiling is the process of changing from a liquid to a gas state. Both involve a change in temperature and are examples of phase changes, which are physical changes in the state of matter. Thermodynamics helps explain the energy changes that occur during phase changes.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

If ice is at(-12) deg c and has a mass of .55593125kg, how much heat is required to melt the ice.

Homework Equations

Q=mcT

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried Q=mc(water)T and Q=mc(ice)T but both were marked wrong. can you show me what I am doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Show the actual numbers you're using.

You did remember the latent heat of fusion, didn't you?

ohhh yes. i forgot the latent heat of fusion. i got the correct answer now. thank you for your assistance.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another, including heat and work.

2. What is melting?

Melting, also known as fusion, is the process of changing a substance from a solid state to a liquid state due to an increase in temperature.

3. What is a phase change?

A phase change is a physical change in the state of matter, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas, due to a change in temperature or pressure.

4. What is the difference between melting and boiling?

Melting is the process of changing from a solid to a liquid state, while boiling is the process of changing from a liquid to a gas state. Both involve a change in temperature, but boiling occurs at a higher temperature than melting.

5. How does thermodynamics relate to phase changes?

Thermodynamics helps explain the energy changes that occur during phase changes. For example, during melting, energy is added to break the bonds between molecules and change the substance's state from solid to liquid.