Thermal physics -- Latent heat melting ice

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations needed to determine the final temperature when ice melts into water, taking into account the energy required to melt the ice and the energy released by the water. It is determined that the final temperature should be greater than 0°C if all the ice melts completely. However, there is a discrepancy in the calculations and the poster is asked to share their working in order to identify the error.
Cici2017

Homework Statement

Question (b) (iii)
屏幕快照 2017-11-07 下午11.25.14.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The energy required to melt the ice is
Q1=mL=3*0.025*3.3*10^5=24750J
The energy released by water is
Q2=mcT=0.33*4200*(22-T)

Shall I calculate the energy that the ice needs after it melts into water?
i.e. Q3=0.075*4200*(0-T)

So Q1+Q3=Q2 and then just solve for T?

Is that right? I did it this way but got a different answer to the mark scheme.

Attachments

• 屏幕快照 2017-11-07 下午11.25.14.png
    屏幕快照 2017-11-07 下午11.25.14.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,327
Physics news on Phys.org
Will the final temperature T be greater or lower than 0°C?

Do the calculation assuming that all the ice melts. If the final calculated temperature comes out above 0C, you're through. What if the final calculated temperature comes out below 0C? Then what can you say about the final temperature? How does this change the calculation?

DoItForYourself said:
Will the final temperature T be greater or lower than 0°C?
Should be greater than 0

Chestermiller said:
Do the calculation assuming that all the ice melts. If the final calculated temperature comes out above 0C, you're through. What if the final calculated temperature comes out below 0C? Then what can you say about the final temperature? How does this change the calculation?
What calculations do I need to do?

Cici2017 said:
What calculations do I need to do?
Your expression for Q3 has the wrong sign.

So, what do you get when you solve your equations for T?

Chestermiller said:
Your expression for Q3 has the wrong sign.

So, what do you get when you solve your equations for T?
T=4.05

Cici2017 said:
T=4.05
Good. When you substitute this back into your equations, does this satisfy them?

Chestermiller said:
Good. When you substitute this back into your equations, does this satisfy them?
um... not quite. I got Q1+Q3=26025.75 and Q2=24878.7

Cici2017 said:
Should be greater than 0

Yes, in case the ice melts completely, the temperature should be greater than 0°C. If the ice does not melt compeltely, this means that the thermal energy of the water is not enough and its initial temperature must be increased in order to melt completely the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cici2017 said:
T=4.05
As you found, this is not right. Please post your working.

haruspex said:
As you found, this is not right. Please post your working.
I followed the logic in my attempt. Is that wrong or is there something wrong in my calculation?

Cici2017 said:
I followed the logic in my attempt. Is that wrong or is there something wrong in my calculation?
Did you correct the sign error pointed out in post #6?
If so, you should have got the right answer. I cannot tell where you went wrong without seeing your working.

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of energy required to change the state of a substance, such as from solid to liquid or liquid to gas, without changing its temperature.

2. How does latent heat affect melting ice?

When ice melts, it absorbs energy in the form of latent heat. This energy is used to break the bonds between the molecules in the solid ice, allowing them to move more freely and form a liquid.

3. What is the latent heat of fusion for ice?

The latent heat of fusion for ice, also known as the heat of melting, is 334 joules per gram. This means that for every gram of ice that melts, 334 joules of energy are required.

4. How does the latent heat of melting ice compare to the latent heat of vaporization for water?

The latent heat of vaporization for water is much higher than the latent heat of melting ice. It takes 2260 joules of energy to vaporize one gram of water, which is about 6.75 times the amount of energy needed to melt one gram of ice.

5. What factors can affect the latent heat of melting ice?

The latent heat of melting ice can be affected by the pressure, temperature, and impurities present in the ice. Changes in any of these factors can alter the amount of energy required for the ice to melt.