Thermodynamics Problem and Fourier's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical problem involving a structure made of copper and the calculation of the required heat to raise its temperature to 200C within 20 minutes. The first step is to calculate the flux rate using Fourier's Law and then determining the type of heat transfer problem (semi-infinite solid or thin wire). The heat transfer resistance within the solid will play a role, as well as the external heat exchange coefficient depending on the method of heating. The context and type of heat exchanger being dealt with may also be important factors.
mrbranches
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following hypothetical problem:

I have a structure consisting of approximately 1 ton of copper. I need to calculate the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of an area of the structure to 200C within a timeframe of 20 mins. This requires taking into consideration heat lost to thermal transfer. I understand that copper has a thermal conductivity of 385 W/m K and that the first step will be to calculate the flux rate by applying Fourier's Law. However, I'm at a loss where to go from here.

If anyone can hep me with this problem I'd greatly appreciate it. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to give more information on you problem, like a drawing and some idea about the context. For example, this would allow us to see if your problem is closer to a semi-infinite solid problem or to a thin wire structure problem. Look in a book or on the web about "transient heat conduction".

In the case of a semi-infinite heat conduction problem, the heat flux will decrease with time as k DT/(a.t)^0.5, this is so because the heat flux will penetrate into the solid and the temperature gradient at the surface will decrease with time. The conductivity is k, DT is the temperature difference between the heating medium and the bulk solid, a is the heat diffusivity, t is the time. After some time, the main heat transfer resistance is within the solid itself because of the reduced tempertaure gradients: the overall heat transfer coefficient is determined by the state of the heat transfer within the solid.

In contrast, for a thin wire structure, the internal temperature (within the wire) will essentially be uniform and the heat flux will decrease faster, exponentially. The heat conductivity and the diffusivity will play little role (as long as the structure is thin enough) and the heat exchange will be determined by the external heat exchange coefficient. This will depend on the method of heating: radiant, contact, convective, and the empirical formulas to be used are the main topic of heat transfer handbooks. For example, for convective heat with gas, the heat transfer coefficient depends on the speed of the gas along the solid surface.

Michel

PS: Are you maybe dealing with some kind of heat exchanger?

Last edited:

Hi there!

Calculating the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a material within a specific timeframe is an important problem in thermodynamics. In this case, we can use Fourier's Law to determine the heat flux rate, which is the amount of heat transferred per unit area per unit time. This law states that the heat flux rate is proportional to the temperature gradient and the thermal conductivity of the material.

To solve this problem, we can use the following equation:

q = -k * A * (dT/dx)

Where q is the heat flux rate, k is the thermal conductivity of copper (385 W/m K), A is the area of the structure, and dT/dx is the temperature gradient (change in temperature over distance). We can assume that the temperature gradient is constant over the entire structure, as it is being heated uniformly.

Next, we can calculate the total amount of heat required using the equation:

Q = q * A * t

Where Q is the total amount of heat, q is the heat flux rate calculated from Fourier's Law, A is the area of the structure, and t is the time required (20 mins in this case).

I hope this helps you solve your problem! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck! 👍

1. What is thermodynamics and why is it important?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It is important because it helps us understand and predict how energy behaves in various systems, and it has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics.

2. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total energy in a closed system will remain constant.

3. What is Fourier's law and how does it relate to thermodynamics?

Fourier's law is a principle in thermodynamics that describes the flow of heat through a material. It states that the rate of heat transfer is directly proportional to the temperature difference and the surface area, and inversely proportional to the material's thickness. This law is important in understanding how heat is transferred and distributed in various systems.

4. How is Fourier's law applied in real-world situations?

Fourier's law is applied in many real-world situations, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems, insulation materials, and heat exchangers. It is also used in industries that involve heat transfer, such as chemical and power plants, to optimize processes and ensure efficiency.

5. What are some common challenges when using Fourier's law in thermodynamics problems?

Some common challenges when using Fourier's law in thermodynamics problems include accurately measuring and accounting for all factors that affect heat transfer, such as surface roughness, material properties, and boundary conditions. Additionally, the complex mathematical equations involved can be difficult to solve, and assumptions must often be made to simplify the problem.