First Law Thermodynamics Problem

In summary: No problem, yes, the heat is 225, in this case -225. And the variation is 300kcal, converting to Joules is 1255,2. Thank you!
ruiwp13

Homework Statement

For an hour , an athlete with 50kg of weight produces a work of 75kcal pedaling on the gym bike. During this period of time he consumes 60L of oxygen.

Calculate:

a) The power produced by the athlete
b) The variation of the internal energy of the athlete knowing that for each liter of oxygen consumed, 5kcal of energy are spent.
c) The heat transferred to the envolving environment.

Homework Equations

First law of thermodynamics E2-E1=Q-W

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I converted the 75kcal that he produces in an hour to Joule/s giving me the power. Now, the other two I'm having trouble knowing what to do. If you could help me I would appreciate it.
Thank you,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not cool to make duplicate posts of the same HW problem.

ruiwp13 said:
b) The variation of the internal energy of the athlete knowing that for each liter of oxygen consumed, 5kcal of energy are spent.
c) The heat transferred to the envolving environment.
b) Can you calculate how much energy was produced knowing how much oxygen was consumed?

c) I guess the athlete didn't develop a fever. So where did the energy go?

DrClaude said:
b) Can you calculate how much energy was produced knowing how much oxygen was consumed?

c) I guess the athlete didn't develop a fever. So where did the energy go?

in b) I know that 300kcal are spent (60L*5kcal) but that isn't the internal energy, I think,

in c) no, I guess he didn't :p and I know that he releases heat, but I'm not getting on the way to calculate the heat that he releases.

ruiwp13 said:
in b) I know that 300kcal are spent (60L*5kcal) but that isn't the internal energy, I think,
Indeed no, that is the total energy. You have to use the first law (conservation of energy) here.

ruiwp13 said:
in c) no, I guess he didn't :p and I know that he releases heat, but I'm not getting on the way to calculate the heat that he releases.
Solve b first, then c should be clear.

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
Indeed no, that is the total energy. You have to use the first law (conservation of energy) here.Solve b first, then c should be clear.

I know for c) I'll have to use the formula ΔE=Q-W, because I'm going to have the variation of internal energy and the work, but in b) When you say 300kcal is the total energy you mean it is ΔE=Ekinetic+Epotential+U?

ruiwp13 said:
I know for c) I'll have to use the formula ΔE=Q-W, because I'm going to have the variation of internal energy and the work, but in b) When you say 300kcal is the total energy you mean it is ΔE=Ekinetic+Epotential+U?
Use ΔE=Q-W for b).

DrClaude said:
Use ΔE=Q-W for b).

ΔE are the 300kcal and W are the 75kcal?

ruiwp13 said:
ΔE are the 300kcal and W are the 75kcal?
Correct. Actually, you only need the equation ΔE=Q-W, so sorry for the misdirection.

Likes 1 person
DrClaude said:
Correct. Actually, you only need the equation ΔE=Q-W, so sorry for the misdirection.

No problem, yes, the heat is 225, in this case -225. And the variation is 300kcal, converting to Joules is 1255,2. Thank you! I'll try to find the variation now.

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How is the First Law of Thermodynamics applied to real-life situations?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. It helps us understand and analyze energy transfers and transformations, such as in heat engines, refrigerators, and chemical reactions.

3. What is the difference between an open and closed system in the context of the First Law of Thermodynamics?

An open system allows for the transfer of both matter and energy with its surroundings, while a closed system only allows for the transfer of energy. The First Law of Thermodynamics applies to both types of systems, but the calculations may differ depending on the system's properties.

4. Can the First Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle of nature and cannot be violated. However, it is possible to have errors in calculations or measurements that may seem to violate the law.

5. How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to the concept of conservation of energy?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is essentially a statement of the conservation of energy. It states that the total energy of a system and its surroundings remains constant, although it can be transferred or transformed between different forms.