1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics- pV^n = constant.

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A closed system consisting of 2 lb of a gas undergoes a process in which pV^n=constant. For: p1=20 lb/in^2 , V1=10 ft^3 and p2=100lb/in^2 V2=2.9 ft^3.

Find n.

2. Relevant equations

pV^n=constant
    3. The attempt at a solution

Im just having trouble realizing how to find n. This seems very basic and maybe im just rusty from having the summer off, this is a review question.

(p1)(V1)^n = (p2)(V2)^n

Now Im having trouble realizing how to re-arrange that to find n... Ive tried using the relation p1V1^n=5P1(.29V1)^n but everything keeps canceling out. Can someone push me in the right direction?

Ive also tried solving for n in terms of C and plugging that back in and that just gives me a jumbled mess.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The logarithm function turns exponential factors into multiplicative factors...

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3
    Yah I understand that. But Even if I do that wont I be left with:

n*ln(P1V1)=n*ln(P2V2)

So... All I can do is cancel things out. I cant really isolate n... right? unless I want #n=0.

Feel free to call me a moron if im missing something obvious :tongue:

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're not taking the logarithm correctly.

6. Sep 8, 2009 #5
    Oh God I suck....

So does this sound good to you?

ln(P1(V1)^n)=ln(P2(V2)^n)

ln(P1) + n*ln(V1) = ln(P2) + n*ln(V2)

7. Sep 8, 2009 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Better!

8. Sep 8, 2009 #7
    Awesome, thanks Mapes! How did I not see that :blushing:

I gotta say, I appreciate your help. I havent been on the boards in quite a while but i remember you helping me in the past as well. Thanks again Mapes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook