Thermodynamics solution, but why Cp*1000 ?

In summary, the person is struggling to understand why Cp is multiplied by 1000 in part (c) of the problem. They realize it is to convert the units from watts to kilowatts, but they are missing the conceptual understanding behind it. The expert explains that the conversion is necessary because the first term is in kJ/kg and the second term is in m^2/s^2. They provide two explanations for the conversion and clarify that Cp is not actually multiplied by 1000 anywhere. The person thanks the expert for the assistance and mentions that their class has not focused on the conceptual understanding of the formulas.
psilocybin
Hi there! I have attached an example problem from my thermodynamics textbook, and I understand everything except part (c)

m( h + ke ) = m(c p T + V^2/2)
where Cp is multiplied by 1000 (or ke/1000 as shown in solution.)

why is this part done? I cannot figure it out at all. I see that it is to get the answer in terms of watts rather than kW, but I feel like I am missing something conceptually. In the following step when KE is ignored, it is not done...

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Heres the original question if additional context is needed:

Air flows steadily in a pipe at 300 kPa, 77°C, and
25 m/s at a rate of 18 kg/min. Determine (a) the diameter of
the pipe, (b) the rate of flow energy, (c) the rate of energy
transport by mass, and (d ) the error involved in part (c) if the
kinetic energy is neglected.

Attachments

• 5-24.jpg
    5-24.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Cp is not multiplied by 1000 anywhere, so I don't know where you're getting that.

The last factor in parentheses in the second term is just a unit conversion. Here are two equivalent ways of explaining it.

1. The first term is in kJ/kg, which when multiplied by kg/s gives you kJ/s, or kW. These are the units you want your answer to be in. However, the second term, which is in m^2/s^2, when multiplied by kg/s, gives you J/s, or W, which is not the same. To express the second term in kJ/s rather than J/s, you have to divide it by 1000.

2. You'll notice that the first term is in kJ/kg, which when multiplied by kg/s gives you kJ/s. So, you want the second term to be in kJ/kg as well. Recall that [energy]/[mass] = [speed]^2. The second term is in m^2/s^2. To express this in kJ/kg, we need the conversion factor, which is that 1 kJ/kg = 1000 m^2/s^2. This makes sense, since 1 J/kg = 1 m^2/s^2.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, in an alternate handwritten solution it was written with Cp*1000 which started the confusion. The last couple sentences really summed it up. Unfortunately this class has mostly been taught as a "plug these numbers from the table into these formulas" and a lot of the intuition has been lost. Thank you for the assistance!

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It explains how energy is transferred and transformed between different forms.

2. What is a thermodynamics solution?

A thermodynamics solution is a method used to solve problems related to the transfer and transformation of energy in a system. It involves applying the laws of thermodynamics to determine the state and behavior of a system.

3. Why is Cp*1000 used in thermodynamics solutions?

Cp*1000 is the specific heat capacity at constant pressure, which is a crucial parameter in thermodynamics calculations. It is used because it allows for the accurate determination of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree.

4. What is the significance of Cp*1000 in thermodynamics?

Cp*1000 is a fundamental constant in thermodynamics that represents the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree at constant pressure. It is used to calculate the change in enthalpy (heat content) of a system.

5. How does Cp*1000 differ from Cv*1000 in thermodynamics?

Cp*1000 and Cv*1000 both represent specific heat capacities, but they differ in the conditions under which they are measured. Cp*1000 is measured at constant pressure, while Cv*1000 is measured at constant volume. This difference is crucial in thermodynamics calculations involving gases and in understanding the behavior of substances under different conditions.