Kinetic energy in ocean current

In summary: You are simply looking at the energy passing through that face over a time period.In summary, the problem considers an ocean current with a velocity of 2.5 m/s and a cubical block of water with a side length of 1m. The energy contained in the block is calculated to be 3219J. For the rate at which kinetic energy is carried across each square meter, dividing by 1m^2 is not necessary as the problem is already limited to a 1m cube. The answer gives an upper limit for the power that could be extracted from the flow, but is unrealistic as it would require stopping the entire flow.
pinkfishegg

Homework Statement

Consider an Ocean Current flowing at 2.5 m/s. a) How much energy is contained in a cubical block of water 1m on the side. (The density of the water is about 1030kg/m^3.) b) If the flow is perpendicular to one of the cube faced, what is the rate at which current flow carries kinetic energy across each square meter? Your answer gives an upper limit for the power that could be extracted from the flow-although an unrealistic limit because you'd have to stop the entire flow

Homework Equations

KE=(1/2)m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part A using m=(pho*volume) and subbing into get
KE=.5*(1030km/m^3)*1m^3(25m/s)^2=3219J

for part B I'm not sure if I can just divide by 1m^2 to get 3219 J/m^2 or if i have to divide by 6 because there are 6 sides. Can someone help me with this reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider that all the water is moving in the same direction. So you need to consider only one face of the cube.

The problem asks for a rate, so you have to incorporate time in your thinking.

pinkfishegg said:
not sure if I can just divide by 1m^2
Further to DrClaude's reply, I see no reason to divide by an area at all. The first part has already limited consideration to a metre cube, so the flow through the face is already "per sq m".

1. What is kinetic energy in ocean currents?

Kinetic energy in ocean currents refers to the energy possessed by moving water in the ocean. This energy is a result of the movement of water caused by factors such as wind, temperature differences, and the Earth's rotation.

2. How is kinetic energy in ocean currents measured?

Kinetic energy in ocean currents is measured using various methods such as buoys, moored instruments, and satellites. These methods allow scientists to measure the speed and direction of ocean currents, which can then be used to calculate the kinetic energy.

3. What are some factors that affect the amount of kinetic energy in ocean currents?

The amount of kinetic energy in ocean currents is affected by factors such as wind speed, water density, and the topography of the ocean floor. These factors can increase or decrease the speed and strength of ocean currents, resulting in changes in the amount of kinetic energy.

4. How does kinetic energy in ocean currents affect marine life?

Kinetic energy in ocean currents plays a crucial role in the movement and distribution of nutrients, oxygen, and other essential substances for marine life. It also influences the behavior of marine animals, such as their migration patterns and feeding habits.

5. Can kinetic energy in ocean currents be harnessed as a source of renewable energy?

Yes, kinetic energy in ocean currents can be harnessed as a source of renewable energy. This is done through technologies such as tidal turbines, which convert the movement of ocean currents into electricity. However, the implementation of these technologies is still in its early stages and requires further development.