Thermoelectric Effect in Polarized Conductors

• Thread starter Smacal1072
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi All,

I was just reading about the Thermoelectric Effect, and had a question:

In this phenomenon, when there is a temperature difference on each side of a conductor with a finite resistance, a voltage develops (due to diffusion of electrons). Similarly, when a voltage is applied across a conductor, a temperature difference develops.

My question is, if we place a conductor in an electric field, polarizing it, will a temperature difference develop between the ends of the conductor? From my understanding, a voltage will develop across a conductor when it is placed in a electric field.

Thanks

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi All,

I was just reading about the Thermoelectric Effect, and had a question:

In this phenomenon, when there is a temperature difference on each side of a conductor with a finite resistance, a voltage develops (due to diffusion of electrons). Similarly, when a voltage is applied across a conductor, a temperature difference develops.

My question is, if we place a conductor in an electric field, polarizing it, will a temperature difference develop between the ends of the conductor? From my understanding, a voltage will develop across a conductor when it is placed in a electric field.

Thanks
Er.. no. A conductor, under electrostatic situation, is an equipotential body when placed in an electric field. You should not confuse a potential difference applied to a conductor (with a non-zero resistance) resulting in current flow, with the situation above.

Zz.