Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

They have a strategy, we have tactics.

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    The following is an MSNBC paraphrase from Bush's speech today:

Bush said that as those fighting American and Iraqi forces change their strategies, the United States is also adjusting its military tactics.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a direct quote. If he has a strategy, I wish he'd share it with the rest of us.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2
    I think his strategy is to arrest and torture all Iraqi males of fighting age for the remainder of their miserable lives. :bugeye:
  4. Oct 25, 2006 #3
    Until recently Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld had but only one strategy, "stay the course", regardless. They needed to be more flexible and aaptable to the changing situation. It is almost as if they could not admit that they were not succeeding.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Oct 25, 2006 #4

Science Advisor

The paraphrase is pretty accurate. The statement reffers to changing tactics, not strategy.
  6. Oct 25, 2006 #5
    In this context, I don't understand the difference between course and strategy. Stay what course?
  7. Oct 25, 2006 #6
    Are you able to provide a direct quote?
  8. Oct 25, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the last briefing, Snow made it a point to explain how he will be using the terms 'strategy' and 'tactics'. His explanation, however, was a little bit of an obfuscation...because he took the standard military definitions of the terms and them broadened them up enough that what is now called 'strategy' was once called 'graduating out of kindergarten'.

9. Oct 25, 2006 #8
    Thanks Gokul43201, I assume this is the explaination you refer to:

The strategy is to help Iraq defend, sustain, and govern itself, using three different approaches, all of which are interlocking and all of which are dependent upon the others, and that's security, economic and political. That's not going to change.

OK, so our strategy has three interlocking approaches, one of which is a noun and the other two are adjectives. But these are just the NAMES of the strategies, not the actual strategies. Hey Mr. President, can you throw us a verb?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?