They have a strategy, we have tactics.

The following is an MSNBC paraphrase from Bush's speech today:

Bush said that as those fighting American and Iraqi forces change their strategies, the United States is also adjusting its military tactics.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a direct quote. If he has a strategy, I wish he'd share it with the rest of us.

Answers and Replies

Tarheel
jimmysnyder said:
If he has a strategy, I wish he'd share it with the rest of us.

I think his strategy is to arrest and torture all Iraqi males of fighting age for the remainder of their miserable lives. :bugeye:

jimmysnyder said:
The following is an MSNBC paraphrase from Bush's speech today:

Bush said that as those fighting American and Iraqi forces change their strategies, the United States is also adjusting its military tactics.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a direct quote. If he has a strategy, I wish he'd share it with the rest of us.

Until recently Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld had but only one strategy, "stay the course", regardless. They needed to be more flexible and aaptable to the changing situation. It is almost as if they could not admit that they were not succeeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
LURCH
Science Advisor
The paraphrase is pretty accurate. The statement reffers to changing tactics, not strategy.

edward said:
Until recently Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld had but only one strategy, "stay the course", regardless.
In this context, I don't understand the difference between course and strategy. Stay what course?

LURCH said:
The paraphrase is pretty accurate.
Are you able to provide a direct quote?

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In the last briefing, Snow made it a point to explain how he will be using the terms 'strategy' and 'tactics'. His explanation, however, was a little bit of an obfuscation...because he took the standard military definitions of the terms and them broadened them up enough that what is now called 'strategy' was once called 'graduating out of kindergarten'.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/10/20061023-2.html [Broken]

Gokul43201 said:
In the last briefing, Snow made it a point to explain how he will be using the terms 'strategy' and 'tactics'.

Thanks Gokul43201, I assume this is the explaination you refer to:

The strategy is to help Iraq defend, sustain, and govern itself, using three different approaches, all of which are interlocking and all of which are dependent upon the others, and that's security, economic and political. That's not going to change.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/10/20061023-2.html [Broken]

OK, so our strategy has three interlocking approaches, one of which is a noun and the other two are adjectives. But these are just the NAMES of the strategies, not the actual strategies. Hey Mr. President, can you throw us a verb?