1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thin film interference - Minimum thickness

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A lens (##\mu##=1.5) is coated with a thin film of refractive index 1.2 in order to reduce the reflection from the surface at ##\lambda=480 nm##. Find the minimum thickness of the film which will minimize the intensity of reflected. [Assume near normal incidence]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know how to begin with this. It looks to me that this is related to thin film interference but I have never dealt with three different mediums while solving problems related to this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's just thin film interference. All you need to worry about are the reflections from the top and bottom surfaces of the film.

4. May 11, 2013 #3
    Is it simply a plug and chug question then? :tongue2:

I get the right answer using the formula ##2\mu d=(n+1/2)\lambda## and putting ##n=0##. I get ##d=10^{-7} m##. Thanks Doc Al! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted