Things Which Can Go Wrong with Complex Numbers - Comments

In summary, Complex numbers can be tricky, especially when dealing with multi-valued functions such as Log(z) and sqrt(z). The use of capital letters, such as Log, may indicate the principal branch, but it is important to always check the author's definition. A great example of this is the x^x spindle, which is a result of the multi-valued negative logarithm. It would be helpful to have generic rules for dealing with multi-valued functions in the future.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
micromass submitted a new PF Insights post

Things Which Can Go Wrong with Complex Numbers

complexnumbers-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Leo Authersh, Demystifier, kith and 3 others
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I thought Log(z) was defined to return the principal value, i.e. In the range ##(-\pi,\pi]##, while log(z) is left as shorthand for the set of values which satisfy ##z=e^w##. Thus ##log(z)=Log(z)+2\pi n i##.

Likewise, ##\sqrt .## is defined to return a complex number with argument in the range ##(-\pi,\pi]##. A difficulty here is that there is no corresponding shorthand (is there?) for the set of solutions to the square root operation.

It might be interesting to develop some generic rules for multivalued functions. E.g. If f() is such an operation, we might write {f(x)} for the set of values and F(x) for the principal value. If f distributes across multiplication (e.g. raising to a power, ##(ab)^c=a^cb^c##) then we could write ##F(ab)\in \{f(ab)\}\subseteq f(a)f(b)##.

I really like this insight. I wish I had seen a writeup like this 25 years ago while first learning about complex numbers; it wasn't until taking an elective in complex analysis my senior year of college that I finally started to get a handle on this. A link to this insight should become the standard reply to these kinds of questions that show up in the forums.

The use of Log versus log may be a little non-standard. I must admit that when I first skimmed the article I assumed the capital version was the principal branch, but I can never remember how people define the principle branch anyway (##-\pi \leq \theta < \pi##; ##-\pi < \theta \leq \pi##; ##0 \leq \theta < 2 \pi##, etc) so I always have to check how any given author defines it. When I fully read the insight the notation is clearly defined so I have no problem with it at all.

Great work!

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are composed of two parts - a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What are some common errors when working with complex numbers?

Some common errors when working with complex numbers include forgetting to distribute the negative sign when multiplying by -1, forgetting to change the sign of the imaginary part when dividing by a complex number, and forgetting to use the correct rules for simplifying expressions with powers of i.

3. How can I avoid errors when using complex numbers?

To avoid errors when using complex numbers, it is important to carefully follow rules for simplifying expressions, always double check calculations, and practice regularly to become comfortable with complex numbers and their operations.

4. Can complex numbers have real and imaginary parts that are both 0?

Yes, a complex number can have a real part of 0 and an imaginary part of 0, which would make it a real number. For example, 0 + 0i is a complex number with both real and imaginary parts equal to 0.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have many applications in the fields of engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to represent electrical circuits, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and many other areas of science and technology.